Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
:cry:

I have a Aqualcal pool heat pump that has been working fine until yesterday.

The heater is running but not heating, it’s not leaking, there are no obstructions or strange noises or any other signs that might lead me to focus in on anything keeping it from heating.

I hosed down the outer coils, cleaned the filter and everything seems to be flowing and working properly.

The heater is about 5 years old and used most days for the last three for the spa.

Before I call a repairman, is there anything I could check?

Sounds like you've done all you can do. My 7 yr old Pentair had a freon leak in the heat exchanger and was better to replace/upgrade IMHO. You may have a minor leak somewhere or have an electrical problem such as a capacitor or contactor gone bad that's not engaging the compressor. I've had all of the above. Hope for one of the latter. Unless you have HVAC experience, I'd call a Dr. It may not be so bad.
Good luck.

Re: Heat pump not heating but runs

[attachment=0:1bm2nzuw]run capacitor heat pump fault.jpg[/attachment:1bm2nzuw]Pretty sure someone out there is having this problem or will have. Thought I would update this post with my experience. Most common issue with heat pumps - run capacitor will die, as mine did. Easy to tell because the top or sides balloon out. Look at the top of mine - see how the top has ballooned up compared with the small one. It should be completely recessed down.

Review this video to see what I am talking about. Don't get hung up that its not your model.
http://www.youtube.com/user/heatsiphonnation/videos

2nd - if you are handy you can do it.

3rd - research and understand the codes of your heat pump. The inner workings are all the same. Different internal parts, but all are engineered the same.

4th - mine was the run capacitor 60MFD / 370VAC - could not find that so i went for 60MFD/440VAC - almost double the size, but it fit and no issue going bigger. Will run you about $15 and - 10-30min to install. Depends if you know what you are doing.

You will know your Heat Pump has discharged gas, as your pool will have an oil slick. You can't miss this fact. Most pumps will not leak if taken care of. Its a closed system, as I was told. Most of the other parts blow first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.