Concrete remnants in fiberglass pool = me worried. Advice?

PoolESQ

Platinum Supporter
Dec 3, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Hello to all! I’ve been reading TFP for a while now, and have gained a wealth of information from all of you experienced pool owners. I am in the process of installing a fiberglass pool (my first pool ever!) and have an issue that I’d like share with you and to get your feedback.

Overall, I’ve had very few issues with my PB and am happy with the construction process. However, one issue is causing me a little anxiety: concrete from pool deck still lingering in cutouts and at bottom of pool. Approximately 1.5 weeks ago, the concrete folks came in and poured stained, stamped concrete decking around the pool. A significant amount of the concrete ended up in the pool itself. On each cutout, step and at the bottom of the pool, there is about a ½ - 1” layer of concrete and rock covered by water. (There are also nail and washer-type metal fragments in the water that were used to hold the forms in place.) I reached in the water and discovered that the concrete has hardened and is stuck to the fiberglass pool. I was able to easily dislodge a few chunks of the concrete, but some pieces did not easily come off so I did not force them. In those areas where I easily was able to remove the concrete, a reddish-brown stain formed on the pool surface. A couple pics are attached.

Now, my questions:
1. Is it typical for this much concrete residue to fall into the pool?
2. Is it acceptable for the PB to leave the concrete in the pool for this length of time? (1.5-2 weeks).
3. If this is typical, how difficult is it to remove the hardened concrete from the fiberglass? Can damage result?
4. Is the resulting staining likely to be resolved through water chemistry?

Thank you in advance for your opinions and information!

Attachments

• fpool1.JPG
    fpool1.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 201
  • fpool2.JPG
    fpool2.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 203
PoolESQ said:
Hello to all! I’ve been reading TFP for a while now, and have gained a wealth of information from all of you experienced pool owners. I am in the process of installing a fiberglass pool (my first pool ever!) and have an issue that I’d like share with you and to get your feedback.

Overall, I’ve had very few issues with my PB and am happy with the construction process. However, one issue is causing me a little anxiety: concrete from pool deck still lingering in cutouts and at bottom of pool. Approximately 1.5 weeks ago, the concrete folks came in and poured stained, stamped concrete decking around the pool. A significant amount of the concrete ended up in the pool itself. On each cutout, step and at the bottom of the pool, there is about a ½ - 1” layer of concrete and rock covered by water. (There are also nail and washer-type metal fragments in the water that were used to hold the forms in place.) I reached in the water and discovered that the concrete has hardened and is stuck to the fiberglass pool. I was able to easily dislodge a few chunks of the concrete, but some pieces did not easily come off so I did not force them. In those areas where I easily was able to remove the concrete, a reddish-brown stain formed on the pool surface. A couple pics are attached.

Now, my questions:
1. Is it typical for this much concrete residue to fall into the pool?
Sadly, more often than it should!
2. Is it acceptable for the PB to leave the concrete in the pool for this length of time? (1.5-2 weeks).
IMHO, no but then I know of installations where stuff like this was left in the pool for literally months!
3. If this is typical, how difficult is it to remove the hardened concrete from the fiberglass?
Impossible to say, each case is different! (I still have concrete stuck to areas of my fiberglass pool 3 years after it was installed!)
Can damage result?
Most Definately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Is the resulting staining likely to be resolved through water chemistry?
Maybe, if you are lucky, but the bottom line is you are starting a new pool with problems (most likely metals in the water), which will make your water chemistry a bit more complicated than it needs to be that it might not have had if better care was taken in the contruction. Thank you in advance for your opinions and information!

Just one man's opinion, but then again I also work in the industry!

Sorry for your problems. Those pictures are confusing. I am not sure what I am looking at. Would you be willing to back off the camera a little to provide some point of reference.

Thanks,

Another picture...

Sorry for the confusing pictures. :? I'm attaching another pic taken standing on the pool deck looking down onto one of the cutouts. I hope this adds some better perspective.

Attachments

• Pool3.jpg
    Pool3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 169
I had about a yard of concrete accidentally shot into my pool when they were pouring the decking. The guy who installed the pool refused to even come look at it. After 3 days I called my local pool company and they came out and cleaned it up. First they scooped out as much as they could with the net, then just vacuumed the rest out. It took 3 trips. The only difference in my case was that it had not hardened yet. I would think that if you have to scrape it off you might be taking up the gel coat and the red marks that you are seeing may be what's under the gel coat, but it's still hard to see from your pictures. I would think that the worst case scenario is that they may have to repair the gel coat in some areas, but I don't think that's really a big deal. Just make sure it's o.k. before you make your final payment. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.