QUICK advice on leveling for AG Pool (Intex for now)

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Having a concrete guy, with all his big equipment, out today to do dirt work in my yard. He'll also be pouring two big patio slabs. He is willing to level my pool site, but says he'd have to dig down 14" or so if leveling to the lowest point. He says no need -- says he can build it up and compress it such that it won't erode or otherwise get out of level with the pool on it. Not sure he understands the pool will go up and come down seasonally, or if that would matter to him. He is sure it will be okay. I am afraid since all I've read on TFP is to never try to level by building up.

I need to meet with him in an hour (sorry for late notice - he just called and told me his thoughts) as he is out at the house beginning the dirt work.

Anyone think it will be okay to build up, given that this is an actual contractor with the right equipment, not just me with a shovel? His plan as I understand it is to use dirt and sand, not rock as he usually wood since that might be bad for the liner.

Thanks and sorry for the rush!!

There are some on here that have done this with success. However, most of the time you will hear about a bad experience. Two things come to mind to me about your situation. 1. It is a seasonal pool that will be coming down in the fall. 2. He has much bigger and better equipment to do the job than the average DIYer. I would just ask him if it didn't hold, would he be willing to come back out and help you fix it (Dig it down) next spring. Just make sure he understands that 5000 gallons of water weighs in @ 41,650 lbs.

Just my 2 cents.

Tim

Intex for now, what about in 5 years when you want a 30' oval that holds 100,000 lbs of water, or the 24' round?
Personally I think you should ask an engineer and not a backhoe operator.
Level it down - just like the manufacturer recommends.

PS: tmyers, regarding your signature, my friend told me the same thing about bleach and my liner, and guess who told him?
It must be an industry line or something.

Bama - hope you are right because I decided to give it a chance. Worst case (I hope) is we re-do it next year and dig down. Only a month or so left this year and we've been without a pool all summer so far, so I'm hoping even if not 100% great it is useable this year.

I am a bit worried because he is using crushed rock (or something) but he said it is very fine and he much preferred it to sand. So again, I'm trusting him here and hoping it is fine and not at all sharp and that by putting a tarp and foam on top that I won't have a punctured liner. Thanks all for the input!

I built my pool on sand, 36" in the deepest point on a 20 degree slope.

I used a laser level (tripod and rod type) and leveled a concrete pier (stepping stone upside down or a deck post pier upside down) under each leg. It has held with no problem. I know this won't be a popular move but it can be done with repeatable success.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem your way but I do reccomend a concrete pad under each leg in the fill areas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update for anyone with similar situation: the guy built it up with extra dirt from my yard, leveled it (perfectly) compressed it somehow (construction equipment, but was not here to see what they used or did), then added 2" or so of crushed rock, also leveled. He made this plateau about 2' bigger around than the pool.

I covered the area with 1.5" yellow foam boards, covered that with a tarp, and put the pool down. Legs are on top of tarp, with no pavers. Pool has been up for ten days and it is perfectly level with no settling and floor feels great. The legs are not even sinking into the foam. However, we've had basically no rain yet, so if this changes when we do get rain, I'll re-post. Otherwise, assume this is a plan that worked.

I was able to build up successfully as well, but only had to go about 5" over 15'. I used a few yards of top soil (since it was free) and a plate compactor - soaking it down and compacting every inch. To prevent errosion and a cave in I brought it out a foot wider than the pool and gently sloped it to ground level. After a summer with the pool sitting on it it's solid. However, as others have said, it is always wiser to dig down.

To piggy-back off of your topic and recommendations, I have a struggling concern/issue.

Getting ready to install an Intex Ultra Frame Rectangle Pool. We were struggling with whether or not to level the ground upward or downward. The highest point in ONLY 8" difference. Based on what I'm reading sounds like better to level downward.

Another point my husband and I were struggling with, do we really need a retaining wall? Again based on posts I read, some have gone without, and all was successful. I think with only 8 inch difference, we should be fine.

Now for the final point, do you think it's okay to backfill the surrounding area, covering the supports, with the dirt you pulled out? Plan to place the support on concrete pavers.

Main objective is safety. So if it's suggested, retaining walls, etc... then so be it.
However second objective is to be cost efficient. Don't want to have to do things that are not necessary.

Thanks for you input.

I'd dig down rather than build up but even half and half would aork if it's done right. Of course, it'd be a disaster if it's not doen right.

If it's only 8" I wouldn't worry about a wall. I'd either contour around it or backfill it. Either would work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.