Cleaning SWG cell with acid solution

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
I have an Intellichlor SWG and the "clean cell" light is flashing. I looked in the instruction manual and it says:

"Place the cell vertically in a five gallon bucket. Pour the acid solution (1 part acid:4 parts water) into the
cell until the blades are just covered. Allow the acid solution to bubble, and to clean the blades. The
acid should only be contained in the cell and not around it."

This got me to thinking: if the acid is not to come in contact with the outside of the unit, what is going to keep the solution from seeping out from underneath the unit as I pour the solution into it? Does the weight of the unit itself provide enough of a seal to keep the acid solution contained?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I think it was a false alarm as I took the cell off line and inspected it and it had nothing on it. I guess it could have been due to some cold temps we had at the time.

Also, I have been keeping my calcite saturation index quite low (CH ~250, pH ~7.4, TA ~80, etc.) so I was surprised when I saw the "clean cell" light flashing.

My Jandy Aquapure has that exact same statement; however, the paragraph just before it reads:
Following the installation of the AquaPure, check the cell once
a month for several months. If the cell is clean, replace and re-check at the end of each swimming
season. If the cell shows excessive scaling, go on to Step 2, Acid Wash Cleaning.
Which leads to you believe that if you have ideal water conditions that it can be inspected once a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.