Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning SWG cell with acid solution

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning SWG cell with acid solution

I have an Intellichlor SWG and the "clean cell" light is flashing. I looked in the instruction manual and it says:

"Place the cell vertically in a five gallon bucket. Pour the acid solution (1 part acid:4 parts water) into the
    cell until the blades are just covered. Allow the acid solution to bubble, and to clean the blades. The
    acid should only be contained in the cell and not around it."

This got me to thinking: if the acid is not to come in contact with the outside of the unit, what is going to keep the solution from seeping out from underneath the unit as I pour the solution into it? Does the weight of the unit itself provide enough of a seal to keep the acid solution contained?

Anyone have any experience with this?
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Dave, I've always (all 5 times ) just put an e expandable plug in the bottom of the unit and soaked the blades.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Cool! Thanks!

Off to Home Depot I go.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave, your pool is brand new, how could the SWG need cleaning already?
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5
    I think it was a false alarm as I took the cell off line and inspected it and it had nothing on it. I guess it could have been due to some cold temps we had at the time.

Also, I have been keeping my calcite saturation index quite low (CH ~250, pH ~7.4, TA ~80, etc.) so I was surprised when I saw the "clean cell" light flashing.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by crabboy
    Dave, your pool is brand new, how could the SWG need cleaning already?
    My intellichlor manual says:
    If the electrolytic cell has a tendency to scale, it is recommended that every
    two months the cell be removed and inspected for scale formation and/or debris.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

7. Back To Top    #7

My Jandy Aquapure has that exact same statement; however, the paragraph just before it reads:
    Following the installation of the AquaPure, check the cell once
    a month for several months. If the cell is clean, replace and re-check at the end of each swimming
    season. If the cell shows excessive scaling, go on to Step 2, Acid Wash Cleaning.
    Which leads to you believe that if you have ideal water conditions that it can be inspected once a year.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

The Hayward/ Goldline units have the 'inspect cell' light blink every 3 months to remind owners to check the cell for debris/ scale - it's easy to reset the 'blinking light' after doing a visual inspection
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)