Getting Ready to Jump in Tulsa

What a great site this is! The amount of information and assistance is simply amazing.

My wife and I have decided that, if we can hold to our budget, we're going to have an IG pool installed. We've never owned or operated a pool before, so this will definitely be a learning experience for both of us. But, with the hot summers we have in Tulsa, and with the 4 grandkids near us (and another on the way) we decided to get a pool, provided we can afford it.

We've had representatives from 3 PB's out to our house to look the site over. Ours isn't a big lot, and the back yard is sloped, so it's not going to be as easy as some others probably are. One thing we learned right away is that the easement along the back of our property is an enormous 17.5'....what, do they plan on putting a road in some day?

We've decided that, in the interests of holding cost down, we're going to go with a chlorine pool vs. SWG. Since chemicals have to be added to either, we just don't think the benefits of a SWG pool outweigh the additional cost. We will definitely not be installing a heated pool (but, with the number of 100+ degree days we've had already this year, we might look at a chiller unit in a couple of years). We're looking at a gunnite pool, approximately 16' x 32', depending on what will fit. We'll also go with a standard sand filter system, and keep the plaster finish a light color of some sort (in an effort to keep the water temp down).

So far, we've had one quote, and will meet with one of the other 3 PB's tomorrow night, as he'll be showing us a 3D model of our property with the proposed pool. We should have a quote from the third PB sometime this week.

It's been an interesting experience already!

Welcome to TFP!

A SWG usually comes out about even with the cost of adding chlorine manually if you average over several years. However, with the SWG you do need to pay up front, instead of week by week.

From what I've been able to read thus far, we can always elect to add a SWG later on if we wish. Same is true for a chiller unit (although we'll have to make sure to allow for the unit when the equipment pad is poured).

One thing that would certainly help, that I've not found here, is a list of the common "gotchas" that prospective pool owners might want to be aware of before signing any contract.

For example, we discussed having the decking installed right up to the house along one side of the pool when we talked to each PB. The first (and only, so far) quote we got lists 4' of decking around the entire pool, and no mention of any additional decking. Another thing that might be on this list would be "...man, I wish I'd had that done when they put my pool in....!".

Looking forward to this "journey".....