skimmer location

Jun 12, 2011
Michigan
I have a constant breeze that blows from west to east. Should I locate my skimmer on the east side of the pool? I was planning on putting it on the northwest area because it will be much easier to locate my equipment and get electrical there, but will that make my skimmer ineffective?

Put it downwind. As far downwind as possible. Mine is on a sidewall about 4 feet in front of the downwind end of the pool. Even a mild breeze blows everything past the skimmer, where it bobs around until it gets waterlogged and sinks.

I'd rather have a 50' pipe run - even with pumping losses it would still be more effective than it is now.

Thanks, This is a Radiant Metric GT that will be fully buried and of course if I put the skimmer on the east side opposite of the way it should be, it is like a 15 foot run and both the electrical and gas are right there. If I put it on the west side which is the logical side, it is like a 40 foot run because of my patio, and of course it will be a lot more difficult getting the electrical and gas there, because I have a finished basement. I have a drop ceiling but the electrician and plumber would need to drill thru numerous joists to get all of the utilities to that side of the house. But ultimately I don't want to have any regrets. Oh by the way it will be a 1hp Hayward Super Pump. :(

Downwind is the correct placement. You can certainly make do with upwind but the skimmers won't be as effective. It's not clear to me why you can't locate your equipment in the place that makes the most sense and then your skimmers where you want them, too. Can you not run pipe from one side to the other?

Sorry, it is a little confusing. I have a paver patio and my pool will be on the west side of that patio. Also on the west side of that patio is an unfinished portion of my basement that has the electrical panel and a gas line right there. If i put the skimmer on the north/west side of the pool contrary not the best spot for wind, I would have a short run to a place where I could locate my equipment and have easy access from the unfinished portion of my basement for electrical and gas.

If I put the skimmer on the east side where directly where the wind blows, my patio would interfere with me running any utilites to it from the unfinished portion of my basement, unless I ran the pvc piping completely around the round pool like 300 degrees. So the alternative would be to run the utilities to the opposite side of my basement which is finished and essentially the electrician and plumber would nee do run everything to the opposite side of the house, thru a drop ceiling and thru all of the joists.

In a nutshell, the problem is my patio interferes with any direct routing of utilites and piping if I use the best spot for the skimmer. So I would need to run all of the utilities to the opposite side of my house and patio to hook up to the skimmer on the east side.

You can't lift some pavers long enough to trench then put them back?

I'm adamant about downwind, especially as your original post stated you have a "constant breeze". If you go with the shortest runs, you'll be hating life, especially when leaves start falling.

Removing a few pavers doesn't really buy me too much maybe a few feet, but if down wind is where it belongs, that is where I will put it and let the electrician worry about the wiring. I just measured everything and it will be about a 35 foot run slighlty up hill due to the grade of the house. I will have a 1 hp Hayward Super Pump, is that going to be ok?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.