LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2011
Northeast Ohio USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Purchased a foreclosed home that came with a pool.

Question about sand filter. Put it on filter mode and turned on the pump and sand came out the pool return. I quickly grabbed my leaf net and put over one of the returns (there are two total that I see) and gathered about 2 cups of sand before it starter flowing clear. As it appeared to be losing pressure (maybe 10 minutes), I switched back to recirc, and when I fired up the pump I got another 2-3 cups sand caught. I probably missed 8 or so cups that deposited into the pool. Does this signify a need for replacement or something else I can do (clean/replace sand) to fix this?

Also used a pool vacuum and scooped up much sand under the other return.
[attachment=0:30ssbyw9]Sand.jpg[/attachment:30ssbyw9]

Attachments

• Sand.jpg
    Sand.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 176
If its a top mount multiport on the sand filter, you have either a broken lateral or up pipe.

If its a side mounted valve on the filter, it's likely a lateral.

Remove the sand to get at the naughty bits. ;-) Refill with fresh sand. You'll be good for another 10 years.

Scott

I have been trying to find additional information on this, but not going so well.

I have opened the filter from the top and removed a plastic cylinder about 6 inches in diameter, that has holes in it somewhat like the pattern of a car rim cap. Protruding from one of the holes was what looked like a garden sprinkler head with about 2 feet of thin plastic tubing on the end.

Much sand and black "stuff" remains. I assume there are more "bits" under the sand, but not really sure what I am looking for.

Have been trying to find a diagram of the "insides" but no luck as of yet. Lots of diagrams of the multiport value (which were helpful in stopping the value leak) though.

Found a Triton manual online=]. It covers about 8-10 models but I think I can narrow it down to get some information that applies to my situation. Unfortunately, while trying to figure out the water flow direction I have (yesterday) filled the thing with water, so now I cannot see any of the parts. According to the manual they have a drain plug near the bottom, but I have a small shop vac that should get most of the water out and maybe some of the sand/goo mixture as well. Manual indicates I should have 8 laterals. Manual indicates that the round wheel looking thing is a strainer and the hose thing is an air relief tube. I have hope I can bring this guy back to life.

zea3 said:
Post pictures of the filter innards and you will be able to get more input to help you fix the filter. We love pictures!

Good point. Getting the parts out is the hard part though.

I did unload about 10 gallons of water, and close to 20 gallons of sand and was able to remove the (8) laterals and what was left of the lareral hub and a shard of the piping assembly (which might also be referred to as the up pipe).
[attachment=0:1ep99hig]Triton Laterals.jpg[/attachment:1ep99hig]

[attachment=1:1ep99hig]Broken Hub Lateral.jpg[/attachment:1ep99hig]

My thought then is I need to remove the return piping assembly (which in order to reach I might have to remove the supply assembly), repipe the return assembly, acquire a lateral hub and then re-assemble and refill. Now here is where it could get tricky, a note in the user manual I have (downloaded and for a Triton II, which is NOT the model I have) is that they changed the threading pattern in 1991, from a "V" thread, to something called a Buttress thread. My recovered parts seem to be of the "V" thread variety. Now since I have to replace the piping and the hub, they should join fine, regardless what type of threading I can acquire, but to reattach the laterals, I will probably need the lateral connections of the hub to be "V" threaded, unless I also want to acquire a new set of laterals.

Also, each of the laterals is stamped with a number "15-2285 B", except for the rightmost one in the picture, which is stamped "15-2285 A". I cannot detect any difference between the "A" lateral and the "B" ones. Same length and threading. According to the manual I downloaded, the current part number for a Triton II lateral is 152290, which leads me to believe I have part 152285. Current part number for a hub is 154763, but unsure the part that I need at this time. I assume I will need to order the hub from a specialty store, but wonder if I can repair the piping using a local hardware stores stock.

The filter shell seems to be in good shape, it just seems the piping has cracked most likely due to freezing conditions.

Attachments

• Broken Hub Lateral.jpg
    Broken Hub Lateral.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Triton Laterals.jpg
    Triton Laterals.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 98
Bama Rambler said:
The buttress/"V" threads refer to the thread style at the top of the filter the the dome screws into. The laterals and assembly are the same.

Another good call!! I did not notice that detail, but the note does say it applies to the tanks opening and closure.

Then it looks like I can order one, found one at poolcenter.com for $26 for standard shipping. Still have hopes I can repair the piping using local stock, as the cost to order the assembly was significantly more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
The piping should be standard 1½" or 2" PVC.

Great! At least 2" I am guessing, I should be able to remove enough pieces so I can make an exact match at the store. I just need to be careful of the resulting length, because it is a tight fit.

Was able to create a fancy version of the return pipe assembly for about $15 and a bit of help from a friend. Lateral hub is on order, but I should know how it all turns out by the end of the week. :goodjob:

Air relief pretty important, huh? The old one was not even hooked up when I opened it. But, yeah I figured it was there for a reason. Was able to tee off the piping assembly and bought some new tubing, it makes a snug fit and should not come loose like the old one did. Reusing the old strainer, it has oxidized a bit, but appears to be sound structurally.

I really did not want to wait for shipping if I did not need to, but then I needed an entire lateral hub, and now I notice a crack in the lid relief value, so I am waiting anyway.

Thanks for the warning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.