20% liquid chlorine

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I discovered a small local pool store this weekend so I went inside to look around. I was asking if they sell liquid chlorine and they said yes. Since I am using 12.5% liquid chlorine from another pool store, I was curious to see if theirs has the same strength and the price difference. The man at this pool store told me that their liquid chlorine has a strength of 20% and the price is similar to what I am currently paying at the other place - $3.95 per gallon. He said that every pool store's liquid chlorine can have different strengths. Legally, they can carry liquid chlorine up to 21%. I did not know that I can buy 20% liquid chlorine, did you? I am tempted to try it. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I just read it and it is very informative. Since I am adding liquid chlorine to my pool everyday. I think I can use up a carton of 4 gallons in about 10 days in this weather. We are having temperatures of 100 to 102 degrees started yesterday through next Wednesday. Currently, I am using at least half a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine everyday. I just hope that they really meant 20% and not 12%. I will check the printed info on the bottles before I buy it.

Reactions: GoodAg80
Look at the label carefully. All of the bleach the plant I work at is shipped at 17%. They can make 20% but it won't make it to the distributors at that strength. There is a process (which we're installing now) that allows up to 30% bleach to be mfgd and last 7 days.

Like I said, it's possible that it's 20% but highly unlikely. If it happens to be 20% you'll have to be extremely careful with storage and handling.

I too have found that due to it's higher concentration the liquid chlorine from my favorite pool store is a better value than bleach. I guess if I was in Sams club or something the bleach might be cheaper, but since i'm not the pool store is cheaper. FYI... I have a leslies and a pinch a penny nearby, but i use a store with no chain affiliation.

Bama Rambler said:
If it happens to be 20% you'll have to be extremely careful with storage and handling.

How should 20% liquid chlorine be stored? I am storing the 12.5% liquid chlorine outside under a bush for shade. I used to store 10% liquid chlorine inside a shed but I think it might be too hot in this weather.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I went back to this pool store today to try their 20% chlorine like I told the guy I would. The guy who told me that their liquid chlorine was 20% was not there today. When I googled the pool store last week, I found out that he is the owner. I asked again about the 20% concentration of the liquid chlorine, one of the guys said that it is really 12.5%. I told him that Sh*** (the owner) said that it is 20% last weekend and that is why I am here today. Then he told me something I already knew. They make it at 20% but by the time the liquid chlorine hits the stores, they can be anywhere from 12.5% to 14% or 15%. So the owner LIED or should I say he intentionally misled me to believe their chlorine is 20%. They sell the exact same liquid chlorine that I was buying from a different pool store and I believe the people from that pool store have more integrity and honesty.

Then I was asking about the concentration of their muriatic acid. The guys there said MA is all the same everywhere - there is no difference in concentration. I told them that there is or how would they know to tell me how much to add to my pool. I also said that by law the concentration has to be labelled on the bottle. After a little more discussion with the 2 guys, one of them went back to check and came back with 31.45%.

Since I have to shock my pool today, I bought a case of 12.5% liquid chlorine and a case of 31.45% of MA. I will probably still go back to that pool store to buy liquid chlorine but that is about the only thing I will buy from them. It is very disappointing to discover that the owner of a pool store cannot tell the truth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.