First TF-100 Test Kit results, comments?

Jun 16, 2011
Charleston SC
Great forum, very helpful, thank you in advance. I drank the Kool Aid after quickly realizing the pool store was a dead end.
First TF 100 Test Kit results yesterday:
FC 11.5
CC 1
TC 12.5
pH 7.5
TA 70-80
CH 230
CYA 60
Temp 86
Salt 2800 per test kit (my Jandy monitor reads 2100)

SWG 40%, Pump run time 8am-6pm daily. Waterfall pump runs 30 min twice a day as well. I sometimes keep one Tri Chlor puck in the spillway area since it isn't filtered as often as the pool. I did have a big pool party the day before, so I slipped 2 TriChlor pucks in the skimmer the night before these reults, likely explains the elevated FC level.
Any comments very appreciated.
Enjoy Independence Day, I'm at work, but home for fireworks!

Water is clear. I do get a slight amount of "dust" when I brush the deeper end of the pool, but no obvious algae. I do clean the DE filter fairly frequently (about every 2-3 weeks) which is too often I understand, but it gets clogged with green/brown material. I did have algae after winter storage and the pool guy advised the tri chlor pucks and running the filter, which worked, but maybe I still have microscopic algae?
Thanks

I guess that is possible or you having something new trying to take hold. A CC reading of .5 is considered acceptable (taking one drop to change your sample back to clear). Anything more than that would indicate shocking. The instructions for shocking are in Pool School, the chlorine/CYA chart will give you your shock number as it relates to the CYA level in your pool.

Thank you all for the responses.
So plan of action will be:
Perform OCLT, if positive, shock.
Maintain shock levels of FC until OCLT is less than 1 ppm or less.

Additional question: I do have some old evidence of Calcium leaching out from the tiles in spots (mostly where the water runs over the spa into the pool or over the waterfall). I am planning to use dilute muriatic acid to brush off, then raise my CH to 300 to avoid leaching (per article for SWG pools). Thoughts?
Thanks again.

Well, I suggest that you start the shock process tonight. The reason is the 1.0 CC.
And, shocking at night lets 100% of chlorine fight nasties in the water and none is lost to sunlight.

You can bring pool to shock level, wait an hour to test for FC & CC and still do the OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First Pool said:
Will do.
Thank you all again.
Will report back.

(If pool is unattended for several days, any thoughts on using a solar cover to prevent chlorine loss, keep trash out, etc)
Lotsa folks do that. Use the google search, bottom left on page, for 'vacation' for good info :wink:

Performed OCLT
7/4 7pm (SWG/filter pump shuts off at 6pm)

FC 11
CC 0.5
TC 11.5

7/5 7am (SWG/filter pump does not turn on until 8am)
FC 8
CC 1.5
TC 9.5

Although it is light here at 7am, no direct sunlight. Assume there are organics or low level algea consuming chlorine and hence the rise in CC, therefore shock is in order.
Comments?
Thanks

Just verifying: Shock level for CYA of 60 is between 18 and 24. Are you reaching shock level?

I missed part of your Q above about running your SWG during shocking. You can run your SWG during shocking and it can help maintain shock levels, however it is up to you whether or not to run it. The only thing about the SWG and shocking is that it must be off when performing the OCLT, and you already knew that :goodjob:

Butterfly and Dattia, et al
Thank you for the replies. Rained last night, so FC dropped to 4 and CC were at 1.5
I shocked early this am with bleach per pool calculator, then measured FC several hours later and it was still 27 with CC = 0.
Brushed a couple times, ran the waterfall pump to mix well.
Water is "cristal" ;)
Should I maintain shock levels 24 hours and measure a OCLT in am to confirm?
And what level of FC is safe to swim.
Thanks again
You all are really helpful folks.
D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.