Question regarding HTH "3-in-1 Chlorinating Tablets

thepiratemorgan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Central NY
Do HTH® 3-in-1 Chlorinating Skimmer Tablets have stabilizer in them? I noticed they contain Cal-Hypo but can't see anywhere on the bucket that they contain CYA or "stabilized". I saw the word "softeners", but not "stabilized". Their website sucks for "in depth" chemical information. A MSDS sheet here:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfIma ... cd99db.pdf
doesn't list CYA as an ingredient.

My question is, is this a new product that is stabilizer free that we could use with BBB? If so, I guess cost and Calcium addition for concrete pool owners would be the only downfall. Just thinking here, thanks for any and all replies!

LOL!! After further, actually less "in depth" (A TFP side effect of wanting to be well informed) review of HTH website, it says that this product, or the granules DOES NOT contain stabilizer. So my question stands and can someone throw out some pros and cons besides cost. I wouldn't mind shelling out the cash to use something like this while on vacation to "get me through".

No, they are mostly cal-hypo, sequestrant, and a "skin softener" of some kind. They also contain some extra calcium and some extra salt. They are new, so I don't know of anyone who has experience with them. Previous attempts to make calcium slow dissolving have failed. We also recommend against getting any multi-function products as the ratio of the different ingredients are almost never the ratio you actually want.

Remember that these should never be used in a chlorinator that has ever held trichlor tablets as there might be an explosion.

I can name one HUGE pro off the top of my head. In my home state South Carolina. Dept off Health & Environmental Control (SCDHEC) changed the allowable mount of Cynaric Acid in commercial pools. Dropped it from 150 to 100. So having unstabilized chlorine tablet would prevent me from draining the pool 1/2 way every 4-6 months.

As far as a Con. The only one I can think of would be for new customers with brand new pools. You would have to physically add CA to pool. Which isn't really that big of a deal. Since a freshly plastered pool has a high pH anyway you can use the CA to lower the pH and keep chlorine in the water.

I could have sold tractor trailer loads of this stuff this year.

With over 700 commercial pools in this area most of them have already switch over to SWG or liquid chlorine auto controllers. Avg cost of converting 25,000 pools = $3500-4000. No, that's not for one SWG. DHEC requires 3# of chlorine per day so most pools have to have 2 cells installed.

Joe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.