cloudy water

Cole

May 3, 2011
Berea. KY
i have a 12,500 gal softswim AG pool with a 1 hp power flo lx, hayward perflex de filter, my problem is cloudy water. my levels are : soft swim b 35 ppm, softswim c 10ppm (just added one gal), total alk. 240ppm, pH 7.6. i cant figure out the problem, i got my water tested at my local pool store they said my levels where good. no slime or dirt inside filter, hoses or walls Etc. i have shocked the pool twice with oxysheeen but still cannot see the bottom. PLEASE HELP! :rant:

As a sanitizer for swimming pools, Baquacil comes with a unique set of problems that despite throwing more Soft Swim products at it and spending more money on it, never really gets better. The best advice would be for you to consider switching from baq to chlorine. Chlorine is a far better sanitizer that is cheaper and easier to manage.

Here's a link on how to switch over from baquacil to chlorine...pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion

Jason, i have been using softswim since this pool has been installed in 1992. i don't want to switch to chlorine because my sister had the same pool but she used chlorine and the pool rotted away within 2 years of setup. my pool store says it will eat up the coping and the top rails just like hers. that chlorine is for in-ground pools.

Cole, respectfully, IMHO what your pool store says cannot be further from the truth. I set my AGP up in '95, & nothing has rotted out from using chlorine. The steel top rails & uprights don't even show signs of rot nor rust. I still have the original liner in mine even. It's got some iron staining on it but I've never had to even patch the vinyl liner. They want to keep taking your money for the softswim products. Again, IMHO, they're talking nonsense.

There is nothing at all wrong with using chlorine, nor will it cause damage like that. Salt systems can occasionally cause damage like that, but even that is extremely unusual.

Baqua works best if you replace a lot of water each year and replace the filter media regularly. Otherwise compounds can build up in the water that greatly reduce it's effectiveness.

i would still like to know why my water is foggy, this happens every july for the rest of the season, my levels are fine i just vacuumed the pool, changed the D.E 2 days ago. what could be wrong. i just tested my water again all my levels are the same except my softswim c level, it now is at 5 ppm. could the heat be eating up the c. i heard the pool store talk about something call phosphorus or phosphates in the hose and filter that eats up my c level?

I used Baqua for the first 5 years or so I had my above ground pool also and fought the idea of chlorine. The last few years I used Baqua I spent $500.00 or so trying to keep it clear, same thing just couldn't get the water clear and the pool store I used always had something new for me every few days. Add this or that $$$$$$
I hated chlorine, the smell things rotting, well it's the best thing I ever did. I bought a good test kit, and never looked back. No smell nothing is rotting and so much less work the Baqua. You won't be sorry if you switch.
As for as your water being cloudy, I never got an answer either because no one knows just keep turning money over to them.

i would still like to know why my water is foggy, this happens every july for the rest of the season, my levels are fine i just vacuumed the pool, changed the D.E 2 days ago. what could be wrong.
Well, the answers appear to be in the above posts. Everyone posting is saying that the problem is your sanitizer. Since this forum is so uniform in it's opinion of softswim, it will be difficult to find anyone here to help cure it since virtually no one here uses it.

However, Jason gives some insight here....
...works best if you replace a lot of water each year and replace the filter media regularly. Otherwise compounds can build up in the water that greatly reduce it's effectiveness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
went to true value yesterday instead of my pool store to get chems for switching to chlorine and it was A LOT cheaper there, they had softswim cheaper to, but you guys said chlorine would be easier so i went with chlorine, came home got my cam ready on the tripod put the chemicals in and WOW the colors where awesome, so i go stop rec. on the cam. and guess what, THE FREAKING BATTERY WAS DEAD! :evil: . so there goes that experience. but the water is clear after a couple of days now. and i went to take apart my filter to clean it, ewe. i almost called out the hazmat team with all that baqua goo. i almost got her running good. gotta get my levels in place. BTW ii asked the guy at true value why chlorine burns you eyes (stupid question) and then he said it isn't the chlorine it is improper pH balance, is this true?

95% true. The most common cause of burning eyes is low PH. However CC can also cause your eyes to burn. CC is basically debris that has combined with chlorine and is in the process of being broken down. Any significant CC level is a sign of bad water maintenance. When things are going well, all of the CC is fully broken down and no longer an issue. CC contains chlorine and is in some sense a side effect of using chlorine, but there won't be any CC if you are using chlorine correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.