Whats the reasoning behind brushing after new plaster?

sharpie101

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2011
WPB, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
We have a new pool, its about 5 weeks old. The builder took care of it for the first three weeks, and had the pump running 24/7. When he turned it over to me he said that its very important I brush the walls/floors as much as I can, whats the reasoning behind this??

The pump runs 10 hours/day now, i dont mind the brushing (actually its a pain lol) but I just want to know why I am doing it.

I have a robot coming in the mail, will I still need to brush this monster Once the robot is running?

Thanks, J

The plaster curing creates calcium hydroxide, which becomes calcium carbonate (this is called Plaster Dust). If you don't brush and keep the chemicals balanced, then the plaster dust will form scale on the plaster.

After about 5 weeks, you should be able to reduce the frequency of brushing to about once or twice a week if your chemicals are in balance.

James, thanks much for the explanation. It makes sense to me know what I have been doing.

Do you think once I get the Polaris in the pool I can stop the brushing altogether or just do it once a week?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.