Looking to buy a SWG

JCJR

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Miami
Hi guys,

I need some advice. I'm looking at the CompuPool CPSC36 or Pool Pilot SC-36 I prefer the better value. I have a few concerns

1. My water temp is usually in the low 90's most of the time. I am not using a solar cover in the Summer so I have a high chlorine demand. About .5 gallon of 10% if I manually dose or 2.5 gallons of 10% when using my Liquadator.

2. I have Traventine pavers and worried about the effects I keep reading about with salt. I have salt already for feel at 1900ppm and have no issues with the pavers now but should I be worried when I increase the salt to 3500 or what ever is recommended by the manufactor of my soon to be system?

3. I run my pump on low for 10 hrs and I think I am turning over my water just over 1 x when I run my solar I increase my run time a couple of hours longer.

Based on these 3 facts which system will be best suited for my situation?

One thing I noticed. There should be no difference in usage between manuallying dosing and using the LQ. I know that's an aside to what you want to know.

Either of those units should do the job well. I don't think you'll have any issues with your pavers.

Bama Rambler said:
...There should be no difference in usage between manuallying dosing and using the LQ...

I would of thought the same but I do use less CHlorine when I manually dose. I always thought it was because when I add manually at night when the sun goes down and through the night I have a larger ppm of Chlorine in the pool for a longer time period. Really don't know why.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on either the CompuPool 36 $598, CircuPool RJ 45 $799 from DiscountSaltPools. Problem is there is conflicting information on their website. THey have the CompuPool with 3 different CL output. They have .92, 1.69 and 1.28 and they state a 3yr Warrenty. I went on the manufature website and it states 320 ML per hour and a 5 year prorated warrenty on the cell.

THe Circupool has a 2.0 lb per day output. If the CompuPool is really 1.69 then it will be the better bang for the buck, if it is .92 the CircuPool would be better.

Anyone know the real comparison? I've read on other threads that they are basically the same but that is very vague.

found this interesting I never knew: 1 lb of chlorine gas is approx equivalent to 1 gallon of industrial strength bleach (10-12%).
Taken from: http://www.gewater.com/handbook/cooling_water_systems/ch_27_chlorine.jsp
Sodium Hypochlorite. Sodium Hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlorite, also referred to as liquid bleach, is the most widely used of all the chlorinated bleaches. It is available in several solution concentrations, ranging from the familiar commercial variety at a concentration of about 5.3 weight percent NaOCl to industrial strengths at concentrations of 10-12%. The strength of a bleach solution is commonly expressed in terms of its "trade percent" or "percent by volume," not its weight percent: 15 trade percent hypochlorite is only 12.4 weight percent hypochlorite. Approximately 1 gal of industrial strength sodium hypochlorite is required to replace 1 lb of gaseous chlorine.

Sean,

Is Davey LTD the same as "CircuPool" on that list? Do you happen to know where to look up their numbers?

Bobo,

I asked that question in another thread and I think you anwered my question, what is the conversion of SWG lb/per day vs liquid chlorine? If 1 lb of CL gas the same as 1 gallon of 10% CL then is the following assumption correct?

If I have a 2lb a day rated SWG (2lb in 24 hr at 100%) then in 12 hrs at a 100% the SWG should produce 1 lb of CL. If my pool uses .5 gal of 10% cl then I should run my SWG at 50% for 12 hrs? ( .5 gals = .5 lbs cl, since at 100% for 12 = 1lb then I can either run my pump for 6hrs at 100% or 12hrs at 50%)

Is this correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JCJR,
The Davey LTD (Monarch Industries) shown on this list are only large commercial salt systems. However, they also make the Ecomatic unit, which is probably more recognizable for their residential systems.
The coorelation of 12% to 1lb chlorine gas is correct, which is also equivalent to 1.1 lbs of tri-chlor tablets (@90% available chlorine), or 1.54 lbs of cal hypo (@ 65% available chlorine). When the question is asked about if you save money with a salt system, if you don't count the initial investment, it cost less to MANUFACTURE your own chlorine than it cost to purchase packaged chlorine...depending on the actual cost for electricity and the chlorine.

In theory your math looks correct. There are other factors to take into account, such as bather load, amount of sunlight, amount of CYA in the pool. I'm finally settling into a routine after 3 months with my SWCG. I've got a run time of about 7 hours and 60%. I was testing every day, but now I'm testing TC/PH every other day, but doing full test weekly TC/PH/CH/TA.
I'm not sure but their may be end of season clearance sales.

Thanks to all, I made my choice. I went with the CircuPool RJ 45. I was not completely ready but there was a special at Discountsaltpool that upgraded the CircuPool 1 model up and it ends Aug 1st and did not want to miss the special. I bought the RJ 30 (1.35 lbs p/day CL) for $799 and they upgraded to the RJ45 $899 (2.0 lbs p/day CL)

Reason for choosing over the CompuPool 36 was that eventhough there were good reviews on this forum I did not feel confident on the production of CL. There were too many variances in data raging from .92 to 1.9 and did not want to take the risk as my pool has a huge CL demand.

Other reasons and things that I found out
1. Both models (Compu and Circu) are made by the same manufacture but the Circu has newer upgraded controller (newer technology). This is why they offer 7yr warranty (at least that is what the sales rep said). I did try to gauge his knowledge by asking a lot of questions (stuff that is routinely discussed on this board) and he had similar answers. Felt like I was talking with PoolSean. (PoolSean hope you do not mind me using your name but your honesty and responses on these boards makes me feel comfortable.)
2. Even though the 7 year warranty is prorated, I still save 20% of a replacement cell from years 5-7 That equated to replacing a RJ 45 cell for $285 verses $510 for a Compu 36 after 5 years. Even after 3 years $190 is not bad.
3. All the models I considered was rated for a 30,000+ gal pool but the RJ45 was rated fro 45,000
4. Balance of price verses performance (or at least specification/data) was also a big factor. If money was no object I would of preferred to buy a PoolPilot 48.

Hope I can provide input for others when they make the decision to go salt.

u will be happy with discount salt pools. they are very helpful if u have any problems with system.I had to replace the LCD display board (i think that what it called) they shipped it and i got it the next day and it solve the problem.
One more thing make sure u order the right voltage or it will come 220 v. and u will have to open it up and change some wire's around for 110v. good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.