Carcinogenic concrete dust getting into pool

Ke

Sep 29, 2007
Toronto
I am in the middle of a fiberglass swimming pool project. The concrete coping around the pool needs to be straightened since the foam moulding did not hold well when the concrete was being poured and certain areas have bulged out. My concern is during the concrete cutting process, all the concrete dust will fall into the water, since this is a figerglass pool, water is already filled. Will my filter be able to pick up the concrete dust? I know concrete dust contain silica which can cause cancer.

Ke, welcome to TFP :goodjob:

There are a couple of things which can minimize the amount of dust that gets in the pool while cutting the deck. #1 is to use a wet saw when cutting the crete , the saw should have an adapter to hook up to a garden hose which turns the dust to mud. Also cut so that the discharge from the saw is pointed away from the pool. If for some reason the wet saw isn't an option, you can float a sheet of plastic on the pool to catch most of the dust, what little bypasses the plastic can easily be vacuumed up.

The danger from the dust is if it's inhaled, a particle mask will provide sufficient protection.

Good luck with the repair, if you have any other ?s - just ask :wink:

Thanks for your reply. The plastic sheet is a good idea, I will probably also tape the sheet to the pool wall so all the dust will stay on top of the plastic sheet. They will also do some grinding after cutting the concrete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.