New to pool life need help

Jul 3, 2011
I have an IG, fiberglass, sand filter, 15k gallon, 3/4 horse pump (that runs 24/7),cloudy water filled hole in the back yard. We also use a Dolphin 4 pool cleaner daily. This is the third year we've owned it and the third year we have had the same problem. This year I have invested in a Leslie's Poolcare DPD Test Kit and tested the water morning and night. My results:

PH- 7.8
TA- 220 ppm-ya I know
TC-3
Fc-3
CH-450 ppm

I've gone through 7 gallons Muriatic Acid, with no results.
Bryan

Do you know what your CYA level is? Your FC could be too low depending on that alone. Worst case is you could need to drain water to lower CYA level. How are you chlorinating the pool?

Both good questions, CYA is at 25, the Muriatic acid was added over a 2 week period, I bought it fresh from Leslie's. However, I have no idea how old their stock is. She seemed reluctant to sell it to me, I'm not sure why. :hammer:

Can you test your fill water TA and CH?
If fill water TA is higher than the current TA, it may be that you have made more progress than you know. My tap water is 340 TA, so a fresh fill takes a long time to work the TA down to control pH.
If tap water is the source of that high CH, you are stuck with that. If not, but perhaps due to using"shock products" that are cal-hypo, then partial drain and refill could help if fill water is lower CH.
I am thinking that cloudy water is due to these, CH and pH, and pH is driven by high TA. OTOH, if due to algae, you need time to filter out dead algae and more chlorine to be sure algae is all dead.

With CH 400 at tap and 450 in pool, draining won't affect CH much. You will have to closely manage pH via TA if this is calcium clouding. I don't know how to be sure, someone smarter will be along shortly.
We still do not know if it is algae. Overnight chlorine loss test will prove it. Given that it is white, I would think algae is dead, then filter on 24/7 should have cleared that by now. Assuming filter is in good condition.
This is above my pay grade, lets see what better advice you get...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.