advice about matching pool pump and filter

Jul 16, 2007
My power company offered a $600 rebate to install an Intellifo 11018 pump on my pool. I pay crazy power bills here so any help is appreciated. Remember here, that I am an idiot and never checked the specs on things when I bought the house. Right now I have a common staright pump with a 100 sq ft Staright paper cartridge filter. Well the site I bought the pump from says that the 100 ft filter is grossy underrated for the 37000 gallon pool I have. Note that I am also lazy and really hate cleaning that paper cartridge so I always toyed with the idea of a sand filter. I've read a little about the DE filters and they sound interesting. If I didn't mention it already I am also cheap and broke.
If anybody has suggestions about pros, cons, sources, or any other useful advice it would really be appreciated. I think the only intelligent thing I ever did was find this site and ask frequently for help.
Electrical is no problem for me and I can glue PVC together and understand simple flow and directions.

If you have some suggestions you can consider yourself having performed a community service. I've been hogging up the electrical grid and chemical supplies for about 4 years now since I built the house. You can also look at it as helping the handicapped.

Thanks in advance.

They were right, a 100 sf filter is very small for a pool that size. It will aork but it requires a lot more cleaning, as you've found out.

Even at our electric rates I'd go for the pump with a $600 rebate. I assume it's a rebate on your electric bill over some period of time.

Bama Rambler said:
They were right, a 100 sf filter is very small for a pool that size. It will aork but it requires a lot more cleaning, as you've found out.

Even at our electric rates I'd go for the pump with a $600 rebate. I assume it's a rebate on your electric bill over some period of time.

Surprisingly it is a check. I just need to figure out what kind of filter to hook it up with.

Bama Rambler said:
What size filter do you have now?

Right now I have the 100 Sq Ft paper cartridge made by Starite. I need to replace it with another and I think my best bet will be a sand filter. I was hoping to get some advice about the best match for my equipment at the best cost. I am seeing huge cost variations on the internet for the same filters.

The cost is creeping really bad on this pump replacement. My goal was to save money on electricity. If I sink a grand in a filter I have sort of defeated my purpose. I see some smaller filters on Craigs list at a reasonable cost. I was thinking that two sand filters in parallel would be the same as one huge one if you operated the controls simultaneously. Would this be a correct assumption? Would the filtration be the sum of the surface areas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.