Need help quick

Jul 3, 2011
Hi....I am a noobe at pool care. We purchased a home with a above ground pool. Drained water once, treated, but had heavy rains and now it was very nasty and green. Purchased HTH Blue to Green Shock treatment....looks like I need a second application. But it says after treating vacuum to waist. My pump has a vacuum to waist, but wont that drain out all the water? I dont think I want to add a second application of HTH Blue to Green....water is still kinda nasty...what can I do without draining the pool? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

I don't recommend Blue to Green. Several people have reported problems using that product.

Vacuuming to waste will remove water from the pool. It will also prevent all of the debris from clogging your filter instantly. When there is a large amount of obvious debris it is worth vacuuming to waste, even if it means replacing some water.

Do you have a complete set of water test results? That is the best place to start. It is especially important to know your CYA level. The best thing is to have your own test kit, but results from a pool store will do in a pinch.

Thank you sir. My greatest fear is I will have to drain the entire pool again. I hope I don't have to. I have those test strips but can also go to the local pool store and get it tested. So do you recommend me doing the vacuum to waist? How will I know when I have vaccmed to waist enough? I will get those test results, perhaps sometime to day....lot of things going on now...lost my mom last night, she was age 75. Thanks for your help.

When vacuuming to waste, the key thing is to focus on getting as much obvious debris vacuumed up as quickly as possible. Don't chase every last spec of dirt, just focus on getting us all the obvious stuff relatively quickly. Then you can go back an be really through with regular vacuuming if you need to. One more thing, move the vacuum head relatively slowly so you don't create current that push the dirt back into the water.

Vacuuming is using a hose connected into the hole at the bottom of the skimmer where the basket is. This hose connects to a vacuum head and manuevered around the bottom of the pool to remove the contaminents that rest at the bottom of the pool. I don't know if ALL pools skimmers and vacs are like this, but every one that I have seen is.

If it is only clearing off the top of the pool, it sounds to me, not the most experienced person, like you might be putting the filter lever on "waste", but not hooking up the vacuum line to get the bottom of the pool. This will only suck water through the skimmer at the top of the pool.

When I vacuumed my inground pool to waste, I lost about 3-5 inches of water, definately not ALL of it.

Hope this gets you going. Good luck.

Yes sir, LelandJF...that helped me a lot. I am very new at this. All the instruction I have seen about vacuum to waist said nothing of connection up the vac, but only to put the filter on the said setting. Thank you for clarifying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok....I've vacuumed to waist...lost about 5 inches of water. Pool still looks green and dirty. I plain on changing out the filter sand after the season, so im just running the regular vacuum now for about 3 hours...still light green in color and cloudy with little white speck in the water...I suspect it the HTH green to blue Crud I put in it. I hope I don't have to drain all the water in the pool seeing I did that at the beginning of the season. Its only 10000 gallons. My next step is to go and get a water sample. Stay tuned please, seeing this is my first pool....(came with the house) im sure I will need your help.

Thanks

Vacuuming will NEVER clear a pool.

You must have chlorine to do that. Chlorine is a consumable item and will quickly be spent when you put it in a green pool.

You will need lots and lots of chlorine and will need to post test results so we can help you get your pool clear.

frenchmon said:
Hi....I am a noobe at pool care. We purchased a home with a above ground pool. Drained water once, treated, but had heavy rains and now it was very nasty and green. Purchased HTH Blue to Green Shock treatment....looks like I need a second application. But it says after treating vacuum to waist. My pump has a vacuum to waist, but wont that drain out all the water? I dont think I want to add a second application of HTH Blue to Green....water is still kinda nasty...what can I do without draining the pool? Thanks.
Hi,
Just add a few grams of Copper sulfate, CuSO4 and the problem of algae is over. Forget a Chlorine Shock. It is pure business. Copper Sulfate is too cheap and only Cu++ ions kill the algae; not chlorine. OK, chlorine could help until certain instant, but chlorine is not meant to treat algae, only bacterias.
All public pools have devicies for electrolitic production of Cu++ ions. :cheers:

Chlorine kills algae. Very effectively. If it didn't, this forum wouldn't have members with pools successfully cleared to sparkling with JUST chlorine.

The above poster might want to look at all the swamp to sparkling threads where people post their images that show green swamps turned sparkly in short order if they don't believe it. Always works!

alija said:
frenchmon said:
Hi,
Just add a few grams of Copper sulfate, CuSO4 and the problem of algae is over. Forget a Chlorine Shock. It is pure business. Copper Sulfate is too cheap and only Cu++ ions kill the algae; not chlorine. OK, chlorine could help until certain instant, but chlorine is not meant to treat algae, only bacterias.
All public pools have devicies for electrolitic production of Cu++ ions. :cheers:

Please do not use copper sulfate. Alija is incorrect. Chlorine is very effective at killing algae and not all public pools use copper ions. All you need to clear a green pool is chlorine. Once you post the test results we will help you get started clearing the pool. Please read defeating algae and how to shock your pool for more information on completing the shock process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.