PH and high FC- safe levels to swim?

Jun 20, 2009
Princeton, WV
We have yet to swim this year due to multiple issues and the grandkids are beating the door down! :roll: I think we are on the verge but have a few questions.

During a leak repair I developed algae and have been shocking to 10 since loosing my cya in the partial drain. Water is lt blue/cloudy, I can see approx 1/3 down.

Todays results:

FC 9
CC 0.5
TC 9.5
TA 70
PH 7.2
CYA 35

The filter has not been working properly the past wk due to an error in hookup after a move. Fixed that yesterday.
I was going to raise my shock level since my cya is now up but what is a safe FC level to swim?

Also, is my ph probably inaccurate since my FC is 9?
Should I do an overnight FC loss and let the water clear prior to letting them swim? (Forgot to test last night after adding bleach) :oops:

I know these questions have been answered a billion times, but could not find answers in search. Thanks!

Your pH is fine. 10ppm FC is usually where the distortion begins and it's slight even then.

Bring your FC up to 16ppm and HOLD IT THERE and your pool will probably clear. The better you hold it at 16, the quicker your pool will clear.

Disregard the OCLT until your water is crystal clear.

As a consensus, the forum feels it is safe to swim in pools anywhere up to shock level, so when you get ready to swim, just let your FC drift down a bit and start practicing the Cannonballs! :mrgreen:

Seems now I'm having pump issues. Getting hot and turning off. :rant: How long should I run it after adding bleach, or with shocking do I need to run it 24/7. Plans are to order one, and hopefully replace it this week. (Again, this pump is 25yrs old, so I guess it's time).

It needs to run at least an hour after additions and really should run 24/7 while shocking but you have to do what you have to do. It's better to run it a little at the time and save it until you can get it replaced than to have it fail completely and have no circulation at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.