when to install skimmer on fresh build?

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
I have my fresh build filling with water now ... it's slow going due to using only a single garden hose. However, this is giving my time to figure out a few things dealing with the plumbing. This is a 27'x52" AGP and it's only got about 10" of water in it now (been filling for 15 hours). 3,500 gallons in thus far. At which point do I begin to consider hopping in and installing the skimmer & return and plumbing up the filter/pump? I have heard 1/2 way full, I have also heard 2-3 inches below the skimmer/return holes ... is this something I can do now or is it way too early?

I waited until the water was just below the return. That way you know that the liner has stretched all it is going to. I would be excited to! Do you have your equipment pad ready yet? That is something that you could work on in the mean time. Are you hard plumbing? You could work on that. And if all else fails, just ask your wife for something to do. If she is like mine, she always has something for me to do! :blah:

yeah, I'm getting ready to run to Lowe's to get some PT 2x6's and PT decking boards to build the pad ... I want to hard plumb, but I got the wrong SWG so I'm going to have to open the pool without it for now and do the BBB method until I get the right unit, so hard plumbing will also have to wait. Trust me, there is plenty to do: Build a retaining wall for a 1' drop around the "high" side of where I put in the pool, prepare the filter/pump pad, design and build a garden shed for my lawn tractor, etc. I like to keep myself busy so the wife doesn't have to :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.