Who took my CYA

DONNIE

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
OKLAHOMA
Hey guys! I've got a pretty good grip on this water thing but something has me puzzled. Two weeks ago my CYA was 40+. Yesterday it was barely registerable (is that a word). We have had 3+ inches of rain and ten days of mostly 95 degrees with bright sunny skies. I have drained no water but lose 1/2" a day to evap. Where did my CYA go. It's never disappeared like that. Everything else is perfect.

Donnie

86F, Ph 7.5, FC 3.5, CC 0, Ch 230, TA 80, Cl 3000

YOur refill rate is about double the average so you have probably lost a foot or so of CYA pool water to rain and refills.

Other than that, I have no clue. I would add enough to get back to 50 or so in Oklahoma.

DONNIE said:
It's all good now. CYA 60+.

Donnie

Hope you don't mind my asking, but.......

Now, you added CYA Monday and Tested Tuesday and it is already 60? :eek:

What brand CYA did you use and how did you add it?

I'm just asking cause it seems really fast for it to appear on a test.

I don't recall the brand (Swim-rite maybe). Bought at Lowes. My pool is small and fiberglass. I threw it directly in the pool and it dissolved completley in less than 4 hours. My pump can turn the water over about every 4 hours and I ran it continually. I feel confident testing anything I throw in after 4 hours. I've just never had something disappear so quickly. I don't test CYA except when I have to drain because of rain and always assumed that CYA stayed in the pool unless I take it out.

Comments on the bold part?

Donnie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think Butterfly is alluding to the possibility that in a week, your CYA reading could be much higher. Going from 40 to 0, then back up to 60 after adding CYA a day earlier is slightly suspect. It also doesn't dissolve well when broadcasted, the sock method works very well however (old sock, rubber band, hang from ladder, let soak, squish manually).

I still maintain that I was able to add 20ppm CYA, squish it all out over the course of 2-3 hours and I got an accurate reading the next day. I haven't added any CYA since, and all readings after that are consistent (it's been weeks).

So, yeah, you could have an accurate reading but the general rule for CYA is that it takes up to a week to register properly.

Exactly how much CYA did you add anyway? Did you add 60ppm worth or less? Because if you were at 0, you'd have had to added 60 whole ppm to get to 60. If you added less, your pool wasn't really at 0. And no, the general rule of thumb is that CYA does not go away unless you drain and refill. Rain will dilute it, but gradually. It'd have to rain your entire pool out and displace every bit of the current water to dilute it all the way to 0 (never happen, can't displace only CYA water because rain will mix).

8500 gallon pool. Added 3.5# shooting for 60-80. I don't think I over applied and I'm pretty confident in my testing. I can't test lower than 20 so I had a little wiggle room. Thats why I called it 60+. I do plan on checking it again this weekend.

Donnie

I know my CYA is disappearing. Having just started up the pool about 10 days ago, I added some granular cya to the skimmer in a sock (approx. 1 lb in a 4.8 k gallon pool) enough to bring it up to 30. 2 days later it was testing at 30. I then realized I needed more living in the sunny desert (thanks to butterfly), so added enough that it was calculated to bring it up to 50. Totally dissolved in 24 hours and 48 hours after adding it was measuring just over 50.

Now I'm back down to 40. I only tested today b/c it seemed like I was adding a lot of chlorine the last day or two (4 to 5 cups of 6% a day). I guess I need to run more like 60 and keep a closer eye on it.

My question: I haven't had to add more than an inch of water so far, so does the CYA degrade eventually? Where else could it go?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.