New pool for a friend

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA
I've got a friend that's going to be renting a house with a pool in my neighborhood. The landlord insists that they have a pool service. They have tried to tell the landlord that they can handle the pool themselves, but the landlord has had too many bad renters in the past, and refuses to let them do their own maintenance. I even told them to have the landlord come over and look at my pool :) , didn't work :( What do you guys think they can do to maintain a perfect pool like mine? My ideas are 1:buy a TF-100, 2:Read pool school, 3:Remove trichlor tabs from chlorinator and use bleach once CYA is about 50. What do you guys think?

I think if the landlord insists on a pool service HE/SHE should pay for it. For the protection of your friend, make sure that that would be in any rental agreement. If your friend is going to take care of the pool, and with your guidance and TFP it should go very well, then that should also be in any agreement.

This landlord can no more hold the pool service company "responsible or liable" than he can the renter I think. Is his brother-in-law in the pool business? Being in Guam, I'm assuming you folks have no need to either open or close pools there? Those would be the 2 biggest areas of concern.

A refundable 'pool cleaning' deposit might be one way to get the LL to agree to let them do it themselves. the parameters need to be spelled out specifically. If he won't agree to that then I'd tell him to close it and we wouldn't be using it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.