APSP Water Treatment Information Bulletins

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
I wasn't quite sure where this might best be posted, but this was my best guess. The Association of Pool and Spa Professionals publishes Water Treatment Information Bulletins (IB), and they are all available at the link below. There is some interesting reading among the various bulletins.

Information Bulletins (IBs) include objective technical information about chemicals, water treatment processes, and related technical issues. The IBs are based on the best information available to the industry and represent a consensus of the APSP Recreational Water Quality (RWQ) Committee. Each IB contains a reference section to support and educate pool and spa professionals about the science of a product or process so they can draw their own conclusions. This knowledge will help pool and spa professionals demonstrate their technical competence in the eyes of the consumers.

http://www.apsp.org/clientresources/doc ... %20IBs.pdf

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Vomit and Fecal Accident Response.......................................................................................1
E. coli 0157:H7....................................................................................................................7
Legionellosis......................................................................................................................13
Chloraminated Tap Water and Its Impact on Pools and Spas .................................................19
Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis or Granulomatous Pneumonitis..................................................23
Wading Pool Decontamination Procedure .............................................................................29
Polyhexamethylene Biguanide (PHMB) Sanitizer....................................................................35
Pseudomonas Aeruginosa ..................................................................................................39
Halogen Generators (Chlorine or Bromine) ..........................................................................43
Spa Decontamination Procedure .........................................................................................51
Copper/Silver Ionizers........................................................................................................55
Bromine Tablets ................................................................................................................61
Calcium Hypochlorite .........................................................................................................65
Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione (Trichlor).....................................................................................69
Effect of Cyanuric Acid on Total Alkalinity.............................................................................75
Sodium Bicarbonate ..........................................................................................................79
Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetriones (Dichlors)........................................................................81
Ozone Depletion................................................................................................................87
Disposal of Acid Wash Water ..............................................................................................89
The West Nile Virus and Its Impact on Pools and Spas (Fact Sheet) .......................................91

Thanks for posting this. By coincidence, I just ran into that and read it a few days ago. It's not bad. Nothing about the FC/CYA relationship, but there's still a lot of useful info regarding pathogens and different sources of disinfection.

chem geek,

I was also disappointed that there was nothing about the free chlorine/CYA relationship in the APSP Information Bulletins.

But then again, the only place I have ever heard of the FC/CYA relationship is here at TFP and at Pool Forum.

Some of the information at APSP hints at needing higher FC at higher CYA levels, but no level of detail whatsoever seems to be revealed. Too bad - I really think the pool industry is missing a big chance at gaining some much needed credibility with the public.

Titanium

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.