Pool size - feedback?

Jun 17, 2011
North Texas
We live on the outside of a corner, so our lot is narrow in the front yard, but 180 feet across the back yard. It's technically about .35 acres. The problem is we have a shallow back yard, and then add a 7.5 foot easement, we're looking at a relatively narrow pool.

So I got out stakes and marking paint this morning, and marked where the inside of the pool would be (7.5 feet + 12" of gunite) from the easement, since we want to use every bit of real estate on that side. Then I marked out a fairly decent size patio area against the house (large enough that two people could pass with no problem), and we're looking at a pool that's easily 40+ feet long, but 18 feet wide at the deep end and only 11 feet wide at the shallow end.

For a family of two boys (8 and 11) in a neighborhood with other boys, I want to maximize the water surface for activities like basketball and lots of jumping/diving. From the collective experience here, is that size too small? Too narrow? Or a good size?

We are only a couple of days in to our pool, but I can tell you, that our boy and his friends are in hog heaven. Our pool, which is posted on here (New Build League City), is an "L" shape due to a detached garage and easements. The front leg is only about 8.5' x 36' long (3.5' to 5' deep), then the back leg is 19'x13 ft (5' to 6' deep).

You have to deal with what you have, but anything you do can be made to be well worth it!

Good luck :)

Hi NotEnufToys~~

Our pool is 40 x 16, so it is easy for me to picture what yours might be like, and I think it will be just fine. You can do something attractive on the shallow end with nice wedding cake steps and a bench off along one of the steps...Make your 11 foot wide end a feature, not a downside. :p

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.