Rising Filter Pressure

Jul 2, 2011
Baltimore, MD
My filter pressure keeps rising to over 20 psi within an hour of cleaning the filter manually. I have not been putting any DE in and am kind of lost. The pool is cloudy but I believe that is because I cannot run the filter as it should be run. I do have a slight leak on my the elbow of my return pipe coming from the switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Devin

Hey, Devin,

Welcome to the forum :lol: I would bet your chlorine either is or has been inadequate and you are filtering dead algae from the pool......that's why it's clogging up so quickly because there is so much in your pool.

Can you post a full set of test results? That will help us help you get your pool and filter cleared up. :lol:

You're ruining your filter grids if you're not putting any DE in it after backwashing it.

Your problem is that you have algae and it's clogging the filter quickly. You're going to have to shock the pool. Remember shock is a process not a product.

Provide us with a set of test results and how you got them.

will test the water first thing in the morning. i've noticed that when backwashing and manually cleaning the filter and sand like substance on the filter. where is the sand coming from? i shocked the pool with 3 bags of power powder plus on wednesday and when i tested the water today the chlorine was at 3.0, ph was at 7.2 total alkalinity was 130 ppm, but like i said, i will retest the water in the morning.

Go and read pool school at the link at the top.
As stated before, shocking is a process, not just adding bags of shock powder in pool.
You'll need high end testing kit like a TF-100 kit or a Taylor K-2006
Links are also in Bama sig.

i also had the water tested at leslies pool supply last saturday and had to add 15 pounds of alkalinity up and 4 bags of shock, then was told to follow that up with some pool firstaid with the last chemical to clear up the cloudyness. pool has been up and running for roughly 2 weeks now and now i am running into the pressure problem. was running the filter 7-8 hours a day the first week without this problem. also if i put the de in after backwashing isn't that going to muck up my filter faster than presently, and making the pressure rise? i just dunno, this is my first year trying to have it open 24-7. any help is greatly appreciated.

DE is what filters the water not the grids. Operating a DE filter without DE will damage the grids and may damage the filter.
Maintain your pool at shock level based on your CYA level and continue to backwash the filer as needed.
DE filters often clear a cloudy pool much faster than sand filters, but require frequent backwash and adding DE each time you backwash.

Click on the links below for more info on defeating algae and the shock process.

pool-school/defeating_algae
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

PSG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spend some more time reading Pool School. Yes, there really is a science to all this. Once you understand the science it makes sense and becomes easy to control.

I highly recommend getting your own good test kit. I know it seems like I'm asking you to spend even more money and I am but it will be more than worth it to know your levels. There have been lots of reports of pool store testing being wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.