Bgraeter from Katy Texas

Nov 12, 2007
Katy, Texas
Just wanted to stop by and say hello from Katy Texas!

I am married with two young boys, 10 and 13. My family has been driving me crazy with this pool thing for a couple of years now so I finally broke down and gave into the pressure. Here are the details of my build so far.

We start with three huge oak trees which have to be removed before we can begin the build.
Cost to cut down the trees to a three foot stump and haul off: $900.00 WHAT?? :shock:

No way am I going to pay someone 900 dollars to cut down three trees and haul the wood off. So I enlist the help of a friend who agrees to help. :lol:

One whole Friday spent cutting down three trees that look MUCH bigger on the ground than in the ground, and a whole body of sore muscles later to save how much? That would have been the best $900.00 I ever spent. Guess I should have listened to the wife (lesson learned).

Ok, now that the back yard is cleared it's time for the dig, right? Wrong! The 8' easement at the back fence should contain the electrical for the neighborhood as well as my house, right? Wrong again! the easement does contain the neighborhood electrical line but my builder allowed the contractor to take the most direct route to my meter which is, you guessed it, right through the middle of my future pool. Crud! :x

What's that going to cost me? $1900.00 What? :shock: I'm not even close to digging this pool and I'm out $1900.00 already.

Well the electricians came out today and cut the new trench for the electrical reroute, lay the line but forget (I guess) to hook it up. I hope they return tomorrow to finish the job. Thank god they didn't unhook the old line!

That's as far as I have gotten with my pool build. I hope the rest goes a little smoother from here.

I will post pictures as that become available. Hopefully, we will dig this Monday!

My home builder had a scam of their own. I had to pay extra to guarantee that they would not run any lines through the yard and stay within the easment that they were required to use in the first place.

Basically, what I was paying for was not a guarantee that they wouldn't screw it up, but that if they did, they would have to pay to re-run the lines when we put in the pool.

It turned out to be wasted money as they actually did what they were supposed to do.

Welcome Bgraeter, I'm also from Katy and also had a utility line (gas) out of easement which I had to fork over some coin to move to get my pool built.

Looking foward to seeing your progress, be sure to keep us in the loop (with pics).

Dave

ktdave said:
Welcome Bgraeter, I'm also from Katy and also had a utility line (gas) out of easement which I had to fork over some coin to move to get my pool built.

Looking foward to seeing your progress, be sure to keep us in the loop (with pics).

Dave

wondering when you were gunna pop in as yall are from the same place.

i cant wait for your build to really start. When they start digging.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How about 13 trees for $968!

crabboy said:
F500 said:
$900 for cutting down and removing three big trees is a steal.

We are in Kingwood, TX and the tree removal was the BEST part of our pool building experience this summer! 13 trees from our back yard removed and barely a branch left on the ground when they finished! We gave the crew a $100 tip for such a great (long) job! $ of the trees were very large, some medium and a couple of small ones....but a whole days work for the crew!

Bgraeter said:
What's that going to cost me? $1900.00 What? I'm not even close to digging this pool and I'm out $1900.00 already.

That's just to prepare you for the road ahead. The most hopeful wish I can offer is that the $1900 extra charge is the biggest problem you encounter. :wink: While that might not sound very nice, I bet many people here would say thats a very nice wish. lol :p