Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bgraeter from Katy Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Bgraeter from Katy Texas

Just wanted to stop by and say hello from Katy Texas!

I am married with two young boys, 10 and 13. My family has been driving me crazy with this pool thing for a couple of years now so I finally broke down and gave into the pressure. Here are the details of my build so far.

We start with three huge oak trees which have to be removed before we can begin the build.
    Cost to cut down the trees to a three foot stump and haul off: $900.00 WHAT??

No way am I going to pay someone 900 dollars to cut down three trees and haul the wood off. So I enlist the help of a friend who agrees to help.

One whole Friday spent cutting down three trees that look MUCH bigger on the ground than in the ground, and a whole body of sore muscles later to save how much? That would have been the best $900.00 I ever spent. Guess I should have listened to the wife (lesson learned).

Ok, now that the back yard is cleared it's time for the dig, right? Wrong! The 8' easement at the back fence should contain the electrical for the neighborhood as well as my house, right? Wrong again! the easement does contain the neighborhood electrical line but my builder allowed the contractor to take the most direct route to my meter which is, you guessed it, right through the middle of my future pool. ****!

What's that going to cost me? $1900.00 What? I'm not even close to digging this pool and I'm out $1900.00 already.

Well the electricians came out today and cut the new trench for the electrical reroute, lay the line but forget (I guess) to hook it up. I hope they return tomorrow to finish the job. Thank god they didn't unhook the old line!

That's as far as I have gotten with my pool build. I hope the rest goes a little smoother from here.

I will post pictures as that become available. Hopefully, we will dig this Monday!
    32x20 Freeform (17,500 gal.) Inground pool Depth: 3-4.5-8 ft. Pentair 400k BTU heater, 320 Chlorinator, 420 Cartirdge filter, Easytouch wireless controler. Whisperflo 2hp circ pump, One main drain. 12" raised spa w/6 jets. (spillover) 750 sq. ft. stamped concrete, 6 ton moss rock waterfall with weeping rock wall, Whisperflow 1hp. waterfall pump. PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system, WetEdge Primera Stone "Tahoe Coast"

2. Back To Top    #2
    My home builder had a scam of their own. I had to pay extra to guarantee that they would not run any lines through the yard and stay within the easment that they were required to use in the first place.

Basically, what I was paying for was not a guarantee that they wouldn't screw it up, but that if they did, they would have to pay to re-run the lines when we put in the pool.

It turned out to be wasted money as they actually did what they were supposed to do.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hang in there B. Before long, you will be floating in that pool laughing about what it took to get it built. Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to TFP!!!!
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4
    Welcome to TFP!

At least you are not out the $900 for the trees, too!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

$900 for cutting down and removing three big trees is a steal. Welcome to the forum.
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I will keep everyone posted on the build when it happens.
    32x20 Freeform (17,500 gal.) Inground pool Depth: 3-4.5-8 ft. Pentair 400k BTU heater, 320 Chlorinator, 420 Cartirdge filter, Easytouch wireless controler. Whisperflo 2hp circ pump, One main drain. 12" raised spa w/6 jets. (spillover) 750 sq. ft. stamped concrete, 6 ton moss rock waterfall with weeping rock wall, Whisperflow 1hp. waterfall pump. PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system, WetEdge Primera Stone "Tahoe Coast"

7. Back To Top    #7
    Welcome Bgraeter, I'm also from Katy and also had a utility line (gas) out of easement which I had to fork over some coin to move to get my pool built.

Looking foward to seeing your progress, be sure to keep us in the loop (with pics).

Dave
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    Welcome Bgraeter, I'm also from Katy and also had a utility line (gas) out of easement which I had to fork over some coin to move to get my pool built.

Looking foward to seeing your progress, be sure to keep us in the loop (with pics).

Dave
    wondering when you were gunna pop in as yall are from the same place.

i cant wait for your build to really start. When they start digging.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by F500
    $900 for cutting down and removing three big trees is a steal.
    I'd agree, would have been more like 3k around here.

Welcome to TFP, and best of luck with your build. Remember to post pics of your progress.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome. I am also from Katy . I hate to say it but pool construction is one big headache however the result is so well worth it. Which PB are you using? Keep the pics coming and good luck with the build.
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Andrea,

I went with Castlerock Pools out of Katy. They seem to do good quality work and I have a friend who used them. His pool turn out great.

I will begin to post pics on the Construction section of this board.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/about3648.html

Brent

12. Back To Top    #12

How about 13 trees for $968!

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy
    Quote Originally Posted by F500
    $900 for cutting down and removing three big trees is a steal.
    We are in Kingwood, TX and the tree removal was the BEST part of our pool building experience this summer! 13 trees from our back yard removed and barely a branch left on the ground when they finished! We gave the crew a $100 tip for such a great (long) job! $ of the trees were very large, some medium and a couple of small ones....but a whole days work for the crew!
    Since 1868: Watkins Products are the Best! watkinsonline.com Associate # 362645

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: Bgraeter from Katy Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bgraeter
    What's that going to cost me? $1900.00 What? I'm not even close to digging this pool and I'm out $1900.00 already.

That's just to prepare you for the road ahead. The most hopeful wish I can offer is that the $1900 extra charge is the biggest problem you encounter. While that might not sound very nice, I bet many people here would say thats a very nice wish. lol :P
    ~Debbie~

28k, 22'x37' freeform 3.5'-9'deep
    w/ 7.5' freeform spa raised 18" above pool, Gunite/dark gray plaster, 3 rivers flagstone,
    Aquarite SWCG, Aqualogic ps8, Frog, Colorlogic LED lights.
    Completed 2/06, in Sunny So Cal!