Are you really getting 6% out of Aldi bleach??????

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
I have been using 6% great value bleach since last season..Have had no problem's Till I started using Aldi 6%..I have had to deal with algi&the water cloud's very easy...Everyone say's 6% is 6%..I was trying to save a little money..But,It look's like it is costing me more..May have to switch back..How to you feel about the other brand's?????

I use Walmart great value all the way. Bought 15 182 oz jugs today fwiw. Never had any issue, and there is no way i could justify the extra cost of clorox. That said, i have never used clorox, never had any need to. Never used the aldi brand either.

ncpool said:
I use Walmart great value all the way. Bought 15 182 oz jugs today fwiw. Never had any issue, and there is no way i could justify the extra cost of clorox. That said, i have never used clorox, never had any need to. Never used the aldi brand either.

Well I can get 3 182 oz jugs of clorox from Sams for under 8.00.

mynewpool said:
ncpool said:

My co-worker say's that the Clorox brand does do better in his pool..He get's them from sam's club.He said that he could tell a big difference between the walmart brand&Clorox brand..

kplaster said:
mynewpool said:
ncpool said:

My co-worker say's that the Clorox brand does do better in his pool..He get's them from sam's club.He said that he could tell a big difference between the walmart brand&Clorox brand..

What exactly is better? Maybe i am missing out on something here? Water is clearer? Use less liquid each dose? Any details?

Funny ... I use Aldi's 6% Bleach ... I use the "Pool Calculator" at http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and when I "dose" to get to, say 10 ppm, I'll be darn that when I test for FC an hour and a half later that I don't hit a bullseye at 10ppm!!! Hit it every time!!! What makes Aldi's bleach so undesirable ????
The lesson learned here is ALWAYS check your percentage AND your expiration / "born on" date!!! And let's leave it at that!!! Swim on people :goodjob: Aldi's Bleach and I have "sparklypoolitis" !!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kplaster said:
I have been using 6% great value bleach since last season..Have had no problem's Till I started using Aldi 6%..I have had to deal with algi&the water cloud's very easy...Everyone say's 6% is 6%..I was trying to save a little money..But,It look's like it is costing me more..May have to switch back..How to you feel about the other brand's?????

Are you testing your FC after adding the bleach? Shouldn't matter what brand as long as you are getting the FC... and no way for algae to grow if you have enough FC. So just test after adding the bleach, and if you need more to get to your number than add more...

I've just had to shock for the first time this season ... FC was in range but temps went up this week & a friend of ours had kids in the pool that I know she used their lifejackets in the lake recently. I decided to dose it up a bit to be on the safe side and after using the pool calculator I shot right past my target and ended up at near shock level w/Aldi bleach. Every time I've added an extra cushion before I've used Meijer brand and I hit the target I was aiming for right on.

Should've just shocked it at that point but it was raining and I didn't feel like the math... ended up w/a light algae dust on the floor in the morning so ended up shocking anyway. Didn't go quite with what the pool calculator gave me. Seems like it's running a bit rich .. at least this batch. Good for the money, but does make me have to test more hence using up more test drops, etc.

The price is right though at $.99!

Have been gone several day's..Love the response..I'm not talky bad about Aldi...But,just seem's that has long has I have been using great value..This time now I keep my Cya around 40..And my experience with the great value..I put a small jug in a night..My f.C. alway's stay's around 6-10..Never had any problem's..But, when I started using the Aldi..I noticed it was taking alot more than the sm jug to keep fc up..From past exp..last year with the date's at Aldi..They had good dates this time &thought I would try it..I have had to take pull to shock&mustard level twice so far..Never had to shock through the season staying with great value...I alway's stay on top of water balance & love the BBB method..Just seem's to me the the extra .47 cent's that I was trying to save a jug is just not worth it to me..I use less with the great value..Thank's for the response..

kplaster said:
Have been gone several day's..Love the response..I'm not talky bad about Aldi...But,just seem's that has long has I have been using great value..This time now I keep my Cya around 40..And my experience with the great value..I put a small jug in a night..My f.C. alway's stay's around 6-10..Never had any problem's..But, when I started using the Aldi..I noticed it was taking alot more than the sm jug to keep fc up..From past exp..last year with the date's at Aldi..They had good dates this time &thought I would try it..I have had to take pull to shock&mustard level twice so far..Never had to shock through the season staying with great value...I alway's stay on top of water balance & love the BBB method..Just seem's to me the the extra .47 cent's that I was trying to save a jug is just not worth it to me..I use less with the great value..Thank's for the response..

Nah, I knew you weren't talkin' Aldi "Tundra" Bleach trash, and I'm not totally standing up for it either, it just works for me. Just wanted to comment that as long as your FC's went up after dosing then it shouldn't matter what brand liquid chlorine / bleach. Especially true if you dosed exactly for, and got to, your target on the pool calculator.

I was having trouble with cloudiness earlier in the season while using Aldi's Tandil bleach. I may have gotten a bad batch or it may just have been the low CYA. I just didn't see the results that I expected, so I questioned whether the bleach was truly 6% for a week or so. Since I got the CYA to 40, it's been fine with no cloudiness.

Aldi near me is now carrying Tundra again.

Well,all I can say is way to go Great Value,,Water is back to the way it was..CLEAR!!!...I think the Great value is a better value than the other..Started back Sunday with Great Value..Talked to another co-worker that I got him on the BBB..He told me today he tried another cheap brand&didn't hold out..went back with great value..Pool cleared back up.No problem's....Aldi just doesn't work for me...When I have to use more of it to keep the fc up...I get a higher raise in Fc with great value than the other..& hold's longer..

kplaster said:
Well,all I can say is way to go Great Value,,Water is back to the way it was..CLEAR!!!...I think the Great value is a better value than the other..Started back Sunday with Great Value..Talked to another co-worker that I got him on the BBB..He told me today he tried another cheap brand&didn't hold out..went back with great value..Pool cleared back up.No problem's....Aldi just doesn't work for me...When I have to use more of it to keep the fc up...I get a higher raise in Fc with great value than the other..& hold's longer..

Well, with that, I may just have to try Great Value!! I've always used Aldi's and I'm willing to try other brands if they hold FC longer ... thanks, you never know...

thepiratemorgan said:
kplaster said:

Nah, I knew you weren't talkin' Aldi "Tundra" Bleach trash, and I'm not totally standing up for it either, it just works for me. Just wanted to comment that as long as your FC's went up after dosing then it shouldn't matter what brand liquid chlorine / bleach. Especially true if you dosed exactly for, and got to, your target on the pool calculator.
I was using the Aldi Tandill 6%..Maybe that is the difference.I noticed people saying Aldi Tundra..Maybe there is a difference..But,I did notice it doesn't hold FC has long has the great value..That's why I just went back..

OK!!!!UPDATE ON THE GOOD VALUE...I have noticed that with the ALDI...Tandill that water would go cloudy when fc would drop below 2..WALLY GREAT VALUE..Just check'd today again..Fc dropped down to 1.5 because I was gone this weekend didn't get any in last night..Water still crystal clear ..Not the first time I have allow'd it to drop&alway's stay's the same..That's my opinion&what I have found..Would love to find the Aldi..Tundra to try..But, haven't found any aroud here..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.