Please help walk me through this...

Riven

Jul 3, 2010
Opened the pool this year, if any of you remember me from last year all I did was fight with the pool.

This year we drained completely did some maintenance refilled, etc. to find the pump was ready to retire. Ordered a new pump and sand filter, but of course in the week and a half it took to arrive... swamp happened.

I'm so frustrated and my husband can't understand. We are having company in two weeks and feel like I'm losing this battle.

ABG, 24'. We have a SWG but it's not hooked up currently. If you guys think it will help I can do that.

Just checked the CYA is at 30, I put 1 lb of stabilizer in the sock.

Chlorine is 2 and O... simply amazing to me as I put in 2 gallons on chlorine a couple hours ago.

I have the next 24 hrs at home, then have to work. During that time my husband can put what I tell him to in when needed, but he doesn't "play with the chemistry kit" as he says.

I am running to the store to stock up on bleach, I put my last gallon in just now.

ETA: I have been vacuuming best I can, I'm going to order an "automatic vac" deal to help as well.

Well he doesn't seem to care if the pool is green anyway. But I'm hoping to get a good 24 hr shock in before work, and my neighbor will probably come and check it twice while I'm at work if I ask her her dad has a pool and I'm pretty sure she knows how to work the chemicals if not I can show her and the box has instructions of course.

Okay for our 1 hr check we're at 2.5 FC, 2.5 CC. So we kept a little. I'm going to add another 3 gallons per the calc.

Anything else I should be doing? They were swimming before I started this so everything was mixed around really well. I always tend to try to add MORE than the calc tells me... other than wasting money is this going to hurt anything?

It really sucks when I seem to the be only one who cares if the pool is clear or not, I really appreciate all of the comments.

Hour check in.... I think we're getting somewhere!

FC 7.5, CC 1 Atleast the FC is getting up there now!

What's the best plan of action for night? I can keep checking from when I go to sleep until I get up, but for overnight just do an overnight test or.... ???

Keep the FC at 40 % of the cyanuric acid until all of the CC is gone (less than or equal to 0.5 ppm), and the FC only loses 1 ppm overnight. If your cyanuric acid is 30, then your FC needs to be 12 ppm.

Okay, our 8:30 shows we have a FC of 18, CC of 1.5.

I must've over done the bleach... lol. So now I just keep monitoring right? I will probably try to sweep again before night if the drones ( code word for gigantic mosquitos ) don't carry me off!

I was also thinking about adding DE to my filter. Thoughts on that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct, continue to monitor. You're doing well. As long as the filter is increasing in pressure and the backwash shows dirty water, then it's too early for DE. Once the filter pressure stops rising as fast, then Adding DE is a good idea.

Just keep at it. When you do your final test of FC for the night write that number down and do not add anything else. Check again in the morning before the sun comes up and post your final result from last night, result in the morning. Post the FC and CC for both of those.

This morning's reading were

7 FC 1.5 CC

The PSI never gets about 6, the new filter came with this gauge, but it doesn't rise or drop really. I've been backwashing daily, or when the flow seems decreased. I always get plenty of green out and it runs better when I'm done.

As for a visual, we're completely milky, no green. I brushed and brought up some debris but no green really.

So I added bleach to bring it back up to shock, and I keep it at shock until my over night doesn't drop significantly or I'm at .5 or less CC's right?

We can barely see the 3rd rung of the stairs. Sweep this morning brought up some "gunk" but nothing green and we're sitting at a milky blue color

Morning's 9:00 FC - 7, CC 1.5. So we keep shocking.

Thoughts on the DE? Will it help clear it out faster? Or just wait?

Still working on the OCLT, this morning we were down to 1 CC, so I'm hoping by tomorrow!

We lost a little bit of clarity, but my husband stirred it up really good yesterday for me while I was at work and we had a pretty big drop in FC, but not a big rise in CC, which I guess is good.

Should I try to vacuum tomorrow? I have not vacuumed at all since I started, I did right before though when it was still green. Currently no hint of green, not even in the backwash, so that's good at least!

Planning to vacuum tomorrow as I have the day off, then the rest of the week after Wednesday I'm off so plenty of time to vacuum, etc.

The FC level keeps dropping pretty rapidly... I had it up to shock level before work, and after I got home ( about 9 hrs later ) it was down to 2 FC... should I be worried about this or is it just getting used up? The CC was at .5 or lower.

Cant' wait to have a few days off and get this algae licked good!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.