Hayward "Sense and Dispense" and "Pro Logic"

Titanium

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2007
SF Bay Area
Hayward/GoldLine has to have the most incompetent marketing people in the entire pool equipment industry. I stumbled across these "New for 2008" products, but you would never know it by looking at the Hayward website. The only place these devices are mentioned is in the Hayward brochure section of the website. No clue as to the eventual pricing or release date.

The first item is a pH and ORP kit.

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/TotalPoo ... ochure.pdf

Goldline Controls now offers Sense and Dispenseâ„¢,
Total Pool Chemistryâ„¢.

This professional-grade ORP and pH
sense-and-dispense technology was
previously only available for commercial
pools. Goldline Controls now offers an
economical approach, with the same level
of accuracy, for residential pools. Unlike
others on the market, Sense and Dispense
uses a proportional feed algorithm that
continuously tests the water, sampling pH
and sanitizer activity, and adjusting chemical feeding on
a basis proportional to the demand. Other approaches
don’t sample the water often enough and release larger
doses, which is far less effective and can create highs and
lows similar to a manual approach.

Adding the Sense and Dispense option to your Pro Logicâ„¢*,
Aqua Plusâ„¢ or Aqua Riteâ„¢ Pro is a fully integrated
solution – not an additional box that resides on your
pool pad – eliminating additional installation costs. It also
provides a single source for status reporting and control.

Sense and Dispense consists of two kits. The first kit
senses pH and ORP levels and dispenses a self-renewing
supply of pure chlorine generated from salt. pH dispense
can be achieved using the second kit which includes
a manifold that connects to a CO2 tank. CO2 is highly
effective in lowering pH. With salt-chlorinated pools,
pH tends to drift up. CO2 reduces pH to recommended
levels by forming H2CO3 (carbonic acid), a safe acid that
does not require handling. As an alternative to CO2,
Sense and Dispense also supports commercially available
peristaltic acid pumps. This approach does not require
the second kit to manage pH.

The second item is a beefed-up control system called "Pro Logic". New features appear to include the "Sense and Dispense" pH/ORP device, interface to home automation controllers, and better contol of LED pool lights.

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/TotalPoo ... ochure.pdf

JUST SOME OF THE MANY WAYS YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE YOUR CONTROLS.

Sense and Dispenseâ„¢, Total Pool Chemistryâ„¢

The industry’s only control line with an integrated Total Pool Chemistry option allows you to work
less and play more. Sense and Dispense continuously senses ORP and pH levels and dynamically
dispenses a self-renewing supply of fresh, pure chlorine – generated from ordinary salt – while
controlling pH levels. Now you can achieve the most consistent water quality possible, water that’s
brilliant, soft and silky smooth, automatically.

Aqua Connectâ„¢, Home Automation

Now you can add pool, spa and other backyard functions to the array of functions your home automation system
manages. Pro Logic and Aqua Plus now offer an interface to popular home automation suppliers like AMX®
and Crestron®. You can now access Pro Logic and Aqua Plus from your home automation panel. There’s no
need to buy an additional display for your pool and spa.

ColorLogicâ„¢, LED Lights

With the simple push of a button, you can bathe your pool in your choice of fi ve stunning
fi xed colors or choose from seven dazzling lightshows, featuring over 1,500 different
colors. ColorLogic’s lightshows can have a sophisticated mood with Twilight or a
relaxing one with Tranquility. Get the party started with Voodoo Lounge, Gemstone,
Mardi Gras or Cool Cabaret. With ColorLogic from Hayward®, you can choreograph an
entire evening’s entertainment.

Titanium

Titanium said:
Unlike others on the market, Sense and Dispense uses a proportional feed algorithm that
continuously tests the water, sampling pH and sanitizer activity, and adjusting chemical feeding on
a basis proportional to the demand. Other approaches don’t sample the water often enough and release larger
doses, which is far less effective and can create highs and lows similar to a manual approach.

I wonder who they are talking about here. The Pool Pilot Total Control system samples ORP and PH constantly and provides proportional control. As far as I know there aren't any other shipping systems designed for the consumer market. So this whole section doesn't make any sense.

I haven't heard of anyone who actually has a Poolux. They were first pushing it this summer and as far as I can tell they aren't really shipping, even though there was a press release where they claimed to be shipping as of a year ago. If you go to their web site, their dealer finder doesn't list any dealers in FL or CA or several other states I tried. None of the major Internet pool dealers carry it. The manual barely mentions the ORP sensor, mostly just saying it is available and if connected the ORP readout will appear on the remote. Balboa does have some spa SWG systems that use ORP sensors that have been shipping for a while, but that is really a different category.

Even if it does exist and Balboa is simply being very exclusive about it, there is no reason to believe that they do ORP automation any differently than Pool Pilot or any of the dozen or so vendors of commercial systems do ORP, none of which fit the description that Hayward says they are better than.

Jason,

Even if it does exist and Balboa is simply being very exclusive about it, there is no reason to believe that they do ORP automation any differently than Pool Pilot or any of the dozen or so vendors of commercial systems do ORP, none of which fit the description that Hayward says they are better than.

True enough. I think Hayward's superiority claims are exaggerations by their marketing people.

See my opinion regarding Hayward's marketing personnel in my first post. :twisted:

Titanium

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.