NEW POOL OWNER... HELP!

Jul 1, 2011
:wave: Hi , Im happy to have help from people that know what they are doing!! This is my first time with a pool and my boss has recd this site. We just received the water in our above ground pool, its about 7 years old and we got it from a friend.We purchased a new liner and coving. Interested in doing the chlorox instead of pool store stuff. We have a sand filter and going to try and start it tonite. We realized yesterday the hose had a tear in it :( . So should we use shock from the pool place to start? We got a deluxe kit that was recd. Our pool holds 12,000 gallons. any advise would be great. THANKS :?

got my filter going now for the first time last night and we added super shock. these are my readings as of this afternoon.

ph-7.3
ta-90
ch-190
my levels for fc/br were not colored at all on the test , so im guessing we have some clorinaing to do??

any help would be great. should we shock for the first 4 nites?- unsure of that too

cschadel said:
the active ingredient is calcium hypochlorite-52%. it doesnt list the other ingre. i added the whole 16 oz bag as it said for a 12,000 gallon pool last evening
Okay, that is cal-hypo and will add calcium to your pool. Not needed or wanted too much. So, best for you to use liquid chlorine/bleach.

You also need to add some CYA (cyanuric acid) aka stabilizer or conditioner. Add enough to get to about 30. You can buy bleach and CYA at WallyWorld or the big box stores.

Since you need both chlorine and CYA at the moment, you could add enough dichlor daily to reach a CYA goal of 30 and then switch to chlorine.

Your pH, TA & CH all look fine. What test kit are you using?

Use the PoolCalculator.com to figure doses.

Test pH and FC every day until you get a good idea of what your pool likes :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.