Clay Dirt on Bottom of Pool

dmj4

Jul 22, 2009
I did read the other thread on the dirt on the bottom of the pool and it seems that most people vacuum it.

We have a Polaris 280 cleaner. I have put socks on it, socks on the skimmers and it is catching some of my clay dirt. It still settles to the bottom. I don't have a hand held vacuum, that allows me to do the bottom of the pool manually. What do I buy and how good of a job does it do getting the dirt off the bottom? I need to buy one today.

Does this type vacuum hook into the skimmer baskets, or are their options? We do have a dedicated line for the Polaris 280. Is there a vacuum for fine dirt that hooks to that line?
Do I vacuum to waste?

My filter is worthless for this dirt. I may try adding a little DE to it today.

P.S. I am sure it is dirt. We have an area that does not have grass yet. It is the same color as the dirt in the pool.

Thanks!!!!!

I had an issue with my sand filter not picking up the fine clay dust and I used Ultrabright (Leslie's Pool) along with a skimmer sock. DE may work too.

Good Luck

I tried the DE trick.....didn't work....(3 times). Get yourself the hand pole, vac head, hose, and vacuum it to WASTE. Cheap solution too. I did the pool in thirds so as not to lose so much water at a time.

It has even stained my steps. I had the dirt last year, but it didn't stain my steps. I'm not sure what I will do about that. I sweep it off the steps all the time and it doesn't seem like there is enough on them to do that, but it did. GRRRRR

I had red mud next to pool. New pup played on pool cover and pounded red clay into water. Bottom is covered. On third day and its still red mud and cloudy. When you say vaccumm to waste ...?? what. Put filter on waste and hook up the big vaccumm hose to skimmer ..is that what you mean?

Donna, yes, that's what vacuum to waste means. You do your normal vacuuming process, except you turn your multiport valve (if you have one) to waste rather than filter. This will cause a lot of water to be dumped from the pool so be careful. A method I like if you have the time is to brush everything to one area, and then suck it out on waste. Kind of like sweeping a floor into an area and then using a dust pan to get it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.