Steps for starting Intex sand filter pump with SWG? :)

May 31, 2011
Good morning,

If anyone is able to help me with the initial steps of running the Intex sand filter/pump I would be so grateful. We got it set up late last night, and I'm trying to figure out how to get it started - from the beginning (backwash). We have an Intex SWG as well, hooked up but not running yet because we poured the salt in the pool last night and need to wait 24 hours.

DH said he turned it on this morning and it was leaking from the collar? I went out there and found that the plunger valves were closed. I opened them, but haven't turned the filter back on yet. I have a toddler attached to my leg 24/7, lol, so please any help you can give me would be so appreciated!

After the 24 hours just turn it on and let it run. You'll need to add CYA and probably some chlorine until you get the swg operating correctly.

I'd add a qaurt of bleach now if you haven't already added some.

Read this article in pool school and it'll help get you started.

Thanks, so l need to wait 24 hours before running the sand filter, even if the swg is turned off?

Also I got it running, but it's leaking water pretty bad from middle of the filter halves, is it possible it's not tight enough? or missing something maybe. If I were to open it up and tighten it again, how would I prevent the sand from falling out?

Sorry so many dumb questions, I wasn't there when my husband put it together, so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here!

I'm off to the pool store for CYA, be back shortly.

Sorry about that. I'd leave the pump and filter running all the time and just not turn on the swg until the 24 hours have passed.

There should be an o-ring between the halves and that should have been lubed when it was put together. You should be able to take it apart and clean and lube it with pool lube then put it back together without losing any sand.

Bama Rambler said:
There should be an o-ring between the halves and that should have been lubed when it was put together. You should be able to take it apart and clean and lube it with pool lube then put it back together without losing any sand.

That was exactly the problem! Thank you, it's working like a charm now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.