Intex Easy Set Plumbing & Filter Upgrade...is it possible?

Jul 1, 2011
NJ
Hello everyone...new here and liked what I saw so I signed up!

I have a 15x36 Intex easy set pool and would like to to upgrade some parts.
First, is there a way to add a non-Intex brand filter/pump to this? All of the posts I see that did this have the metal frame pools that use screw in adapters at the liner - I only have a simple hose & clamp directly to the liner.

The other thing I would like to do, even before upgrading the filter/pump, is to add shutoff valves instead of having to use the plugs and disconnecting my skimmer. I'm sure if I could get the shutoff valve going then I'd have no issues plumbing a new filter.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Intex Easy Set Plumbing & Filter Upgrade...is it possibl

I don't know what pump you have for your Intex. I have a 1000 GPH pump with my round metal frame intex. I added shut-off valves at the pump 2 seasons ago. I used a combination of Fernco connectors and PVC ball valves. I can take a pic if you want.

Thanks for the reply. I know what fernco adapters are, but how exactly did you connect it - did you still use the hoses or hard plumb? There is no way I could hard plumb mine as there is too much give in the walls.

The hose fits over 1 1/4" PVC and won't leak with a hose clamp. So what I did was hose from the pool to a ball valve, then a Fernco from the ball valve to the pump intake because the pump has a smaller OD than PVC does. I used a similar setup on the return to the pool. Now when I need to change a filter I shut off the pump, close both valves, replace the filter, open the valve on the intake to get the air out, open the return valve and turn the pump back on.

George_ said:
Hello everyone...new here and liked what I saw so I signed up!

I have a 15x36 Intex easy set pool and would like to to upgrade some parts.
First, is there a way to add a non-Intex brand filter/pump to this? All of the posts I see that did this have the metal frame pools that use screw in adapters at the liner - I only have a simple hose & clamp directly to the liner.

The other thing I would like to do, even before upgrading the filter/pump, is to add shutoff valves instead of having to use the plugs and disconnecting my skimmer. I'm sure if I could get the shutoff valve going then I'd have no issues plumbing a new filter.

Thanks for the help!
If you're wanting shutoff valves, I recommend buying the Intex Plunger Valves. I have them on my Intex 16' X 48" metal frame pool. My pool used to have the same simple hose and clamp that hooked up directly to the liner. I bought a 14" Intex Sand Filter from Walmart for $150 and it came with the plunger valves and adapters for my pool. It will work on the Easy Set ring pool also. I highly recommend the Intex Sand Filter if you want an easier install. The Sand Filter is a much higher quality pump over the CHEAP cartridge filter that comes with the pool. If you want to see pictures of my setup, just let me know.

Sweet! I'll try that this weekend! I have the 637R if I recall right.
Once I hit the ball valve I'd obviously be able to do anything in standard sized PVC - is that the best way to incorporate a new pump/filter? No messing with the liner and use the standard, but small hoses? Or could/should I increase the diameter of the lines going to the pool, such as increasing the adapters at the liner with larger, cut-in ones?

carterj92 said:
If you're wanting shutoff valves, I recommend buying the Intex Plunger Valves. I have them on my Intex 16' X 48" metal frame pool. My pool used to have the same simple hose and clamp that hooked up directly to the liner.
Thanks. I'll look into that and price it out to see what the better option is.

I am an experienced DYIer, but not a plumber. Having said that.... water flow rate is a function of several things but one of the more important ones is how large your openings are. For me, increasing hose size won't matter much because the pump has an ID of about 1" on the intake and exhaust. The only way to get more water through that opening is increase the pressure pushing it. To do that I'd have to move the intake to the bottom of the pool. So, you could add a cut in opening, but don't expect much of an increase in flow rate unless the existing opening is is the smallest diameter fitting you have. I haven't bothered messing with my pool much. This is the 4th and last season of a seasonal pool. I will upgrade to a permanent much larger AG next spring.

Thanks for all the help, crokett.
I'm looking at upgrading my filter/pump which is why I was asking about that. I really want to stay away from Intex if I could and go with a more "mainstream" unit which was why I really posted as I needed to know if it was even possible with my pool being the easy set. I would like to upgrade at a later time, but my kids are only 4 & 2 so this will fit them perfectly for a few years. Since I plan on keeping it I wanted to upgrade the filter/pump with something better and larger since I'll have an eye on upgrading in a few years. From poking around I get the idea, and completely understand, that a larger filter with a matched pump is the best option and I would like my purchase to transfer right over to a larger AG pool; whether seasonal or permanent. More than likely a new pool won't be much larger, maybe 18x52 or even a small oval.

George_ said:
I'm looking at upgrading my filter/pump which is why I was asking about that. I really want to stay away from Intex if I could and go with a more "mainstream" unit which was why I really posted as I needed to know if it was even possible with my pool being the easy set.
I've seen easy sets with "mainstream" filter units. There was a user on TFP that had a 9y/o easy set with a hayward (i think) sand filter and pump with buried PVC plumbing. But like I said, the Intex Sandfilter doesn't use the same cheap impeller system that comes with the pool. You can tell intex has no faith in there base level pumps by the warranty, the cartrige pumps all have a 60-90 day warranty but there Sand filter has a 2year warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks, carterj92, that's what I'm trying to do also.
I'm not bashing the Intex sandfilter as I don't know a single thing about it, but I would like to invest in a larger filter if I could. Plus, I'll be looking through my local Craigslist for a deal and doubt I'd find the Intex.

George_ said:
Thanks, carterj92, that's what I'm trying to do also.
I'm not bashing the Intex sandfilter as I don't know a single thing about it, but I would like to invest in a larger filter if I could. Plus, I'll be looking through my local Craigslist for a deal and doubt I'd find the Intex.
Yeah, I doubt you will find it on Craigslist. If you decide to not go Intex, a two speed pump would probably be best for you. It'll give you the option to save power with the lower speed setting and just in case the higher speed was too much for your pool. Good Luck.

George_, I'm not saying don't upgrade, I'm just saying, if you do upgrade don't go nuts trying to figure out why your flow rate isn't much better. :-D FWIW, my existing pool is an Intex metal frame seasonal. We got it when my oldest was turning 3, this year she is turning 7 and has outgrown it. If you aren't yet, I would have your kids take swimming lessons. Aside from it might save their lives some day, losing the fear of the water makes any pool a LOT more fun. We were on vacation last week and my 6 yr old was all over the pool. Her 4 yr old sister was right behind her in her little floatie. Last year, they mostly just wanted to hang around the steps of the pool.

So using the 1-1/4 hoses and inlet/outlet sizes would not get me more flow even with a stronger pump (I have the 800 or 1000gph now)? What I think I want is something like a 16" filter wtih a 3/4hp 2-speed pump. What do you think?

So I picked up some 1-1/4" PVC and valves. Turns out the hoses I have are even smaller. I had some scrap 1" that I tried but it was really tight. I may be able to get the hose on if I soap it up first, but if not I'd have to thin down the outer wall. I'll try it again when I actually have time to mess around.

My (g.a.m.e.) sandpro pump and sand filter came with intex compatible adapters. I didn't really look at them since I don't have an intex pool, but they make a big deal of being intex compatible on the box and instructions.

crs16 said:
My (g.a.m.e.) sandpro pump and sand filter came with intex compatible adapters. I didn't really look at them since I don't have an intex pool, but they make a big deal of being intex compatible on the box and instructions.
Those might be exactly what I need...I'll see if they sell them.

George_ said:
So I picked up some 1-1/4" PVC and valves. Turns out the hoses I have are even smaller. I had some scrap 1" that I tried but it was really tight. I may be able to get the hose on if I soap it up first, but if not I'd have to thin down the outer wall. I'll try it again when I actually have time to mess around.

That's odd. My setup is ball valves that are threaded and I threaded in male adapters that I am pretty sure are 1 1/4". Both of my stock intex hoses cracked last year so I replaced them with aftermarket but I didn't change anything for the new hoses. I know the pump is closer to about a 1" diameter, hence the ferncos. Maybe Intex changed sizes, my pool is 4 years old.

crokett said:
That's odd. My setup is ball valves that are threaded and I threaded in male adapters that I am pretty sure are 1 1/4". Both of my stock intex hoses cracked last year so I replaced them with aftermarket but I didn't change anything for the new hoses. I know the pump is closer to about a 1" diameter, hence the ferncos. Maybe Intex changed sizes, my pool is 4 years old.
I'm not sure I follow....you threaded in male adapters and then added a small piece of 1-1/4" PVC and attached the hose to that, right?
I found a pic that shows what the side of my pool looks like and it uses the 637R filter/pump. This should be a 1-1/4" hose unless I'm wrong here.

Attachments

• intex.jpg
    intex.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 455

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.