Help! Numbers "look good" but my pool is soo cloudy!

We've had trouble all week...started Tuesday morning. Pool started looking a little cloudy. Took sample to pool store. Don't have those readings with me now, but CYA was 0, so we added 6 lbs of stabilizer (18,000 gallon, SWG, vinyl liner, seasonal pool) and Muriatic acid. The next morning it was more cloudy but still swimmable. Pool store told us to super chlorinate for 24 hours, which we seem to do constantly. Got up yesterday and we can no longer see the drain. Went in to store to test and had 0 FC. Added 2 cases of liquid chlorine last night and it's even more cloudy today. Can't see the bottom or the steps, but according to pool store, numbers "look good".

CYA 62 TC3.7 FC3.7 ph7.4 TA121 They think I might have an algae problem but they don't know. Can't test for it. So they gave me a jug of "pool first aid" and told me to add 1/2 of the jug. If it's not better in 24 hours add the other half. So, I added the half about 30 minutes ago.

I'm planning to cancel our weekend pool parties... :( And I'm reading as much as I can on here so that I don't have to "trust" the pool store....but can anyone see anything else I should do right away? I'm a bit of a control freak, and feel like I have no control whatsoever on my pool.
Thanks for any help!! :(

If you are a 'control freak', you will LOVE the TF-100 test kit!!! Understanding your pool chemistry and not being at the mercy of someone who doesn't know jack about your pool is a wonderful thing.

I'm sure some pool guru's will be along shortly to help you out for your short term problem, but I highly recommend getting the TF-100 test kit and taking control of the future of your pool with a little help from your friends here. It is the best investment you can make with regard to keeping a healthy pool for your family.

You need to shock your pool.............the right way :) It is not a one time event, but a process you continue until you meet three criteria (listed in my sig, red lines). Directions are in Pool School.

The control freak in you needs a good test like like the fav TF100 from http://www.tftestkits.net :goodjob: This is what will put you in control of your pool.

Get familiar with the PoolCalculator.com to help with doses and chemical addition effects.

Use liquid chlorine/bleach for shocking. Post back w/questions and someone will be around to help.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Now would be a good time to add your pool and equipment specs in your sig.

Go to User Control Panel (top left under TFP Logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig.

Also add your location to profile. This helps us determine lots of issues and makes it easier for folks to respond.

Okay...so according to the How to Shock info, How do I know how much chlorine to add? Am I reading this right? MY CYA is 62 and my FC is 3.7 and it needs to be 24 for shock? And is it okay to do this now since I just added half a jug of that "Pool First Aid" stuff?

Thanks for all the help! I can't wait to figure all of this out. Do pool stores carry this test kit or do I have to order it? I think I want it TODAY!

I used the pool calculator and figured out how much chlorine to add....
But I'm still not sure if it's okay to add it now that I've added that "Pool First Aid" liquid. And I need to find a tester, with the holiday weekend, I can't order one and wait until next week to get it. Any ideas where to get a decent test kit? I have strips, but that's it.

I also recommend the TF-100 w/ speed stir. You have to order this test kit. I am guessing the pool calculator on this site will help you with the amounts of liquid chlorine you need to add. I don't use it myself because I am a math person and insist on doing things the hard way, also I don't ever seem to have my computer near me when I am adding chemicals. My calculations show that you need 3-1/2 gallons of 10-1/2% or 6 gallons of 6% to acheive the 24ppm you are looking for.

Kimmisue said:
Okay...so according to the How to Shock info, How do I know how much chlorine to add? Am I reading this right? MY CYA is 62 and my FC is 3.7 and it needs to be 24 for shock?
You are correct.

And is it okay to do this now since I just added half a jug of that "Pool First Aid" stuff?
Not sure, but the directions said not to use 2 hrs. before or after shocking. Lemme see if I can find some help for a better answer on that.

Thanks for all the help! I can't wait to figure all of this out. Do pool stores carry this test kit or do I have to order it? I think I want it TODAY!
Nope, not sold in pool stores. The best and fastest service we know about is http://www.TFTestKits.Net

Your pool did not get in this condition in one day nor is it fixable in one day.

You can hold the pool "at bay" by simply pouring in one large jug of Clorox each day and running your pump 24/7 until you can get a TF-100 or a Taylor K-2006.

As you read more and more in this forum, you will find those are the only two kits that will help you properly manage your pool.

Clean your filter, run the pump 24/7, brush often, add one large jug of clorox daily. That regimen will get you through the long weekend and you can take your time and learn more about how to manage your pool and get it sparkling clear!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you say I can hold the pool "at bay" by adding bleach and such.... are you saying that will do the trick enough for us to be able to swim? We always run our pump 24/7.....

Things are looking much better this evening....adding more chlorine and will test again in the morning. Crossing my fingers.....feel like I'm gambling.... gotta get a test kit!

Kimmiesue, I did find out (from Jason) that the Pool First Aid is a mixture of clarifier and enzymes. It isn't doing much to help and it also won't get in the way. So no problem shocking.

I thought I had posted this Pool First Aid info for you yesterday, but apparantly I missed hitting a button in my haste to get across town :oops:

There is also some slimy grey stuff that is clinging to the sides when we brush.

:puker: Sounds like half-dead algae

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.