First test...guidance needed please

Jun 20, 2011
Texas
First I just want to say that NOTHING irritates me more than when I type a post and my air card loses connection when I submit it and the post is lost!! Lucky for you, the reader, I don't feel like typing the whole thing over again...I'm long winded. I'll just make it short and sweet.

I am merely testing my fill water (well water) to get a feel for the testing and see what I'm starting with before adding anything to it. Pool has yet to be put up.
FC: Does not turn pink immediately. It has been about 10 minutes now and the solution is the slightest shade of pink. Thoughts? I'm guessing this just means my FC is 0 because it takes 0 drops of R-871 to turn it clear (and the smaller test in the blue box told me I have 0 chlorine :-D )
pH: Blue kit measures 8.2. This can't be good.
TA: I am up to 25 drops of R-0009...do I just keep going? This can't be good either huh?! Each drop is red when it hits the solution but disappears when I swirl it.
CYA: 0 as expected.

Am I just not holding my mouth right or what?! Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

On the FC, you're right you have none!
On the pH, It may not be as bad as you think. acid will handle any pH you may have.
On the TA, wipe the tip of the R-0009 bottle on a damp cloth or tissue between drops. There have been reports of static making the drops smaller than they should be and therefore making the TA read higher than it really is. But in either case you keep dropping till it turns the sample red and one more drop doesn't change it more then don't count the last drop.

Thanks for responding...

Here's my readings now (if I'm doing and understanding them correctly)...
FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 8.2
TA - 330
CH - 60
CYA - 0

How does that look? Now I need a shopping list of what to have on hand for when we get the pool filled. I'm headed over to the pool calc to try and figure it out.

Take a deep breath. I'll try to help you with a shopping list.

2 gallons of Muriatic Acid.
5 large jugs of bleach.
3 lbs of stabilizer (CYA)

That should get you started.
As soon as you can you need to add 1½ quarts of bleach.
Then as soon as you can get the acid add 1 quart and test the pH again in 30 minutes.
Then add the CYA. Keep in mind that it'll take the CYA a few days to show up on the test but raise your FC up to 7 ppm after 24 hours.

Thanks for the help Dave! I really appreciate it! And I promise...I really am trying to get it on my own. lol We won't be filling our pool til later today...possibly finishing in the morning so I'm trying to this all figured out ahead of time so I have on hand what I need. Do you think it is best to wait until the pool is completely filled before adding everything? We may run the water for a while this evening, turn it off to give our well pump a rest and then resume in the morning.

duraleigh said:
Have you read and understood the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" in Pool School?

I have read it but can't say I completely soaked it all in. It's certainly a lot to take on at once along with everything else when you're new to it. :)

It's certainly a lot to take on at once along with everything else when you're new to it.
I understand. Use bama's shopping list as your starting point. When you get those items gathered up, introduce them into your pool in the quantities and order which he suggested.

Go Back to Pool School and reread "ABC's....." The important item to focus on is the consumable nature of chlorine and the function it performs. You must always replenish it to keep your pool sanitary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.