Question On Adding Salt To Non-SWG Pool

DebbieO

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 20, 2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I'm looking into adding salt just to improve the feel of the water. Pool Calc says to add 293 pounds for 2000ppm. So can anyone give me a ball park figure on how long this will take to dissolve? Days, weeks? Should I brush it around every hour or so to help it along? I will probably only start by adding 1/2 of the stated amount as I currently have no way to test for salt. Also I have used nothing but 10% Sodium Hypo for chlorine--does this make any difference?

Latest test results 06.29.11/ Tf100XL
FC 5.5
CC -0-
TC 5.5
Ph 7.6
TA 110
CYA 40

Thanks in advance and thanks again for all the help you have already given me with such a great forum.

Probably your best bet would be to get some salt test strips to give you a rough idea of how much you currently have and then how much more you will need.

You are wise to start slowly and add more as you experiment. I have never used it but others on the forum report it dissolves quickly and easily by pushing it around with a broom.

We have added salt to our water as well and I used the services of myself, a sis-in-law, and 3 nieces/nephews to help it dissolve. Dumped it in bit by bit and we pushed it around with our feet. Made sure we didn't step on it JIC it would be sharp and tear the liner (ya' never know...)
The water feels wonderful and I highly recommend it to anyone who is on the edge about whether or not to add some.
I also agree with Duraleigh, get some salt test strips so you know how much is already in there. Could be negligible, but then again....
What a nice feel for the 4th!

Hi Debbie,

We have a 12,500 gal AGP and add several bags of salt each season. I've never tested for salt; I go by 'feel'. At the beginning of the season I put in 3 bags (120#) which gives me the silky water feel I like. Because we get a lot of splashout and have to replace water frequently I normally add another 1 or 2 bags as the summer wears on.

In the past, we would just dump the salt in and swish it around with the brush or our feet. The warmer the water is, the faster it dissolves but even in relatively cool water it takes no more than a couple of hours.

Our method this year was to put some 2" slashes in the bags and just drop them into the pool. They start to float as more and more of the salt dissolves. That method takes a day or two. It's okay but it deprives me of the incredible glitter you get from salt crystals in water with the sun shining on it. It looks like the pool floor is covered in diamonds :)

Thanks for all the replies. Dumped 200 pounds in yesterday. Pushed it around with my brush and was amazed at how fast it dissloved! Could really feel the difference after the 3rd bag went in. Was looking forward to seeing my pool floor "covered in diamonds" but alas, my local weather forcasters must be stationed in sunny LA lately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.