Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool- winter care?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool- winter care?

New pool constructed ~ 1 month ago now closed for winter...partial drain, antifreeze, algeacide, loop loc cover..etc.. due to Midwestern U.S freezing temps.

Now that the pool is closed what do I do about the pH issues related to new pool plaster curing? Just prior to close I had "tuned" everything. I had been adding alot of acid the first few weeks after construction was completed but the rise in pH was much slower the week or so before closing. Do I still need to be testing the water and adding acid? Or is this not a real concern? Any other winter maintenance suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Without having a way to circulate your pool, I don't see how that would be recommended.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

3. Back To Top    #3
    As Mike said, don't do it. Muriatic Acid is quite a bit denser than water, and it will settle to the bottom of the pool. It will take at least several hours to mix with the water, and during that time it will be in contact with the pool surface.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Makes sense! I guess the pH drift after 4 wks of curing is pretty slow anyways. We will probably open early this season also.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump