CYA Question

apwelb

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
I just got my TF test kit, so I am excited to start using it.

I have read alot of what is on the forum and have basically formed an opinion that 50ppm CYA is probably an ideal level for me because living in MN, the sun isn't quite as intense up here as in other climates and being this is my first season I want to be able to achieve shock at lower levels and be able to maintain TC at a lower level should things get away from me. (so far so good but given the battle I had clearing the pool up I am still kind of looking at it out of the corner of my eye waiting for it to basically morph into a swamp again overnight :shock: )

So, fundamentally, is this a good policy assuming I push it up to around 70 when I winterize it or am I coming to a faulty conclusion?

CYA around 30 to 50 is our recommended CYA level when you don't have a SWG. I don't understand what you mean by "I push it up to around 70 when I winterize"? If you are talking about CYA, why would you want to do that?

As long as you do your daily testing of pH and FC, your pool will not morph into a swamp overnight! lol :lol: But, you have to do your part!

I see absolutely no reason for you to increase your CYA to 70 before closing.

JasonLion said:
I don't understand what you mean by "I push it up to around 70 when I winterize"? If you are talking about CYA, why would you want to do that?

I don't know. Maybe I am still in the information overload stage. For some reason I was under the impression it would be helpful to raise the level before winterizing to help maintain TC levels.

I take it I should just pick a level and maintain it through winterization.

Butterfly said:
As long as you do your daily testing of pH and FC, your pool will not morph into a swamp overnight! lol :lol: But, you have to do your part!

I see absolutely no reason for you to increase your CYA to 70 before closing.

OK. Thanks. I actually had a dream I walked out and it was brown again.......I woke up in a cold sweat :lol: .

Thanks for replying to the thoughts swirling around my head. :wink:

JasonLion said:
CYA around 30 to 50 is our recommended CYA level when you don't have a SWG. I don't understand what you mean by "I push it up to around 70 when I winterize"? If you are talking about CYA, why would you want to do that?

The one thing I would state is I recall reading posts where it was implied 70 may be an ideal level and there was a lot of discussion around it. I am probably taking it out of context, but as I read the charts and thought about my own situation, it just seemed like a high level and I was of the mind set 40-50ppm was fine.

50 is too high for me (I bet we're less sunny than your location is... I use the clouds every day to read my color tests against), plus I prefer to use a cheapo OTO test in the evening, max on those is 5ppm. At 50ppm CYA, your minimum is 4, and that negates being able to use the OTO test except when your pool is nearly depleted of free chlorine. You say you want shock level to be lower, but raising your CYA means a higher shock level.

Maybe compromise and set your CYA goal at 40. That's still in the easy to manage range although I kinda freaked when I overshot CYA this year and hit 40. I like 30.

frogabog said:
50 is too high for me (I bet we're less sunny than your location is... I use the clouds every day to read my color tests against), plus I prefer to use a cheapo OTO test in the evening, max on those is 5ppm. At 50ppm CYA, your minimum is 4, and that negates being able to use the OTO test except when your pool is nearly depleted of free chlorine. You say you want shock level to be lower, but raising your CYA means a higher shock level.

Maybe compromise and set your CYA goal at 40. That's still in the easy to manage range although I kinda freaked when I overshot CYA this year and hit 40. I like 30.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I tend to agree and part of my reasoning behind maintaining it lower is so I can achieve shock level at a lower concentration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.