Found corrosion at pool base...What to do.....

Aug 18, 2010
I found a 4 inch crack at the base of my pool. Pool store won't give me any help because of liability issues they say. I have read numerous websites about inserting aluminum flashing into the track and to use epoxy to secure it. Has anyone ever tried this? Does it matter if I use the aluminim flashing on the outside wall?

Also, I have been told that my liner will shrink if I attempt to empty it and do some work. It may hold the summer but I will be worried the whole time.

Attachments

• IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 176
Ouch, is that the liner I can see? I'd drain it to fix it and sandwich the crack in aluminum sheet metal. Then get some rubber tape to go over the inside seams. Looks pretty scary, anyway to shore it up with plywood until fall?

I really hate trying to fix stuff like this in fear of the pool opening up like a zipper and hurting someone. I use aluminum flashing that is pop riveted from the inside of the pool and then use foam over the metal or tape the edges. If you do try to fix it try not to let the liner shrink (work fast) and make the repair over sized as you are only seeing a small part of the corrosion

X-PertPool said:
I really hate trying to fix stuff like this in fear of the pool opening up like a zipper and hurting someone. I use aluminum flashing that is pop riveted from the inside of the pool and then use foam over the metal or tape the edges. If you do try to fix it try not to let the liner shrink (work fast) and make the repair over sized as you are only seeing a small part of the corrosion

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm going to have to try it. I can't find anyone in the area to do it for me. I'm not very handy but it's either try or take the thing down. If I'm thinking the right way I can just pull back the liner back enough just to get at it and then hook everything back up. I'm probably going to end up with a pretty wrinkled liner at that spot.

MikeInNH said:
Ouch, is that the liner I can see? I'd drain it to fix it and sandwich the crack in aluminum sheet metal. Then get some rubber tape to go over the inside seams. Looks pretty scary, anyway to shore it up with plywood until fall?[/quot

Sandwiching the crack might actually be a great idea. Thanks for your opnion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.