How long till chlorine drops?

ouachita

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
O.K. I had to shock for the first time. I had a very light algae or something.

Once I'm done, how long till the chlorine drops to swimmable levels? I shocked to 24 TC, vinyl 24,000 gallon pool. Temp now about 85, outside temps 100. Lots of direct sun.

Any guesstimates? And what is a safe tc for swimming, 7 I think?

Really though... isn't it ok to swim at shock levels if it's shocked appropriately for CYA? I do remember reading this last summer here on the forums. It isn't gonna kill you and might even assist anyone with athlete's foot who goes swimming :~}

We got in that pool at something a bit below shock level and while the day before it fell by 50% in 11hours, when we swam, it fell 25% in 4 hours, so a bit faster than it did with just sunlight.

Sorry Jason, CYA is 30. I went by the pool calculator and shocked according to Mustard Algae levels just in case. I know the CYA is low. I'm gonna work on that as soon as the shock is over. By the way, standard shock was listed at about 15. Don't quote me on that. I just went ahead and went to the Mustard Algae level, which I don't think I had.

You know, July 4th weekend coming up. Gotta use the pool. :whoot:

And by the way, I meant FC and not TC on my shock levels. When I started the shock I had.5 FC and .5 to 1 CC. It was hard to tell. Need to order a new test kit! The cylinder is getting old.

Turn your SWG off first, shouldn't take too long 3-4 days maybe. I wouldn't see a reason why you couldn't swim on the 4th. Took almost 10 days for me but my CYA was higher than yours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.