YAY! Water going in our Used Pool DIY. But, floor wrinkles??

snyder5

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2011
This project is getting very looooonnnnnggggg. We now have started filling after weeks and weeks... and weeks of leveling :hammer: Now have installed our liner, unibead hooked onto our receivers (since we have an Esther Williams pool and their bead is a PIA). However, there are very tiny wrinkles in the bottom. As its filling they seem to be coming out. Its almost at cove where the seam is about an inch below. Will these prob come on out? I will try to get pics of the actual wrinkles, they are hard to see unless you are right on them. Any experience with these small floor wrinkles???

Thanks!!!

Re: YAY! Water going in our Used Pool DIY. But, floor wrinkl

I would stop filling and get in the pool to see what kind of smoothing you can do. Water is freakishly heavy... wrinkles on the bottom will stay once water is atop them and you can do nothing about it then. It may even be impossible already.

I don't know much about regular AGP's cuz I slum with Intex but from reading here aren't you supposed to use a vacuum to pull the liner tight while filling? Others will chime in I'm sure. The non slummers :~}

Good luck, hope it works.

I loved my Intex pools, lol, I am very much missing it now. Thanks for your reply. I did use the shop vac, but it didn't pull the floor as tight as the walls??? My instruction book didn't mention any vac at all, but, like you said and from reading on here, I think the guy who thouht it up should patent it :) They are going away alot as the water gets higher, thats why I couldn't decide to stop water or keep going to get them out :rant: Me and DH are about to choke each other over this pool. I'm going to take pics now. Can't get the others to post from the build??? :rant: :rant: :rant:

K, here r some pics!

I will post some more pics of the build. We bought it used and have learned sooooooo much! I need to add up my cost for others trying to decide between used and new :lol:

Attachments

• 014 (640x478).jpg
    014 (640x478).jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 015 (640x478).jpg
    015 (640x478).jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 016 (640x478).jpg
    016 (640x478).jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 217

Well... wrinkles are good for catching debris... shrug. But I'd want to smooth them personally anyway. I know my H would grumble for a lifetime about those. We have wrinkles after two years, but not at first fill. The water does look too deep to be able to do much about unfortunately, it's hard to smooth wrinkles even with only a couple inches of water IME.

How much stress would it cause to drain some and smooth?

I couldn't live with those. I'd have to drain/reline/refill. One trick I saw our installers use was to start the filling with most of the liner pulled up on the sides. They used the weight of the water filling it up to smooth out the wrinkles and released more liner as it was needed. We have a perfectly smooth bottom now.

That last pic i the worst one and right along the edge? I am still letting it fill at this point, bc lots of them have came out. I have been in there on my hands and knees working them to the edge. I think I have decided to live with them if they decide to stay. :grrrr:

However, here are some more pics.

My totals so far:
Used pool 300.00
Sand +/- 1,000.00 (don't even ask...really)
some new channels 100.00
new skimmer flange 20.00
new liner 280.00
new misc bolts, duct tape, etc 50.00
So, 1750.00 for a 27' x 52" isn't bad...but my sanity is wavering :hammer:

Attachments

• 004 (640x478).jpg
    004 (640x478).jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 009 (640x478).jpg
    009 (640x478).jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 015 (640x478).jpg
    015 (640x478).jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 208

K, so H on way home, we gonna start draining. Thanks everyone. ROTJob, I think that was prob on an overlap? We have no liner to release. It hangs on the bead receiver. I've been in there moving them around with my feet and hands, but still very small ridges. I hope to goodness if we start with no wrinkles, we don't end up wih them in year two :(, who knows?? Is there anyone out there with experience installing a beaded liner DIY???

You're going to drain it to get the wrinkles out? That's a big pool to try and get all the wrinkles out of. We have some wrinkles in our JW oval pool, no biggie. Can't see them when floating around on my back. :-D BTW, I like the bead liners better than the other styles.

You know what...we said screw it!!! I worked out the noticeable ones ad from what I have found and seen online and with other pools. You're right!!! It's a BIG POOL! Can't get everything perfect. I will never see them while floting around :cheers: :party:

It's almost 1/2 full! Kids have already been in it :hammer: :hammer: Good times!!!

Now, I will post my test results prob tomorrow. I tested the water we were filling with before. It had no chlorine - 0 and PH was like 6.8, low. I only had the old 2 way strips from intex pool. Mother brought me 6 way, haven't done it yet. But gonna buy the good test kit :)

Thanks so much for the last post, I was really thinking...what! we are gonna drain it and the wrinkles are not even real wrinkles now???

They will never bother me... :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

ahahahaha, thanks! Kids are already swimming, my stress would have been nothing compared to theirs :). But, most of them came out anyway...the wrinkles that is. And, from what I hear will poss have them next year or so on, then, not worth it! Now, to figure out water, lol. I just posted in the another topic, but here is what I have:

So, only have the 6 way from Walmart right now, ordered the T100..

TC - 0
FC - 0
PH - 7.2ish?
T Alkalinity - 40
Stabilizer - 10ish?
Total Hardiness - 100

What to do? I know I need bleach, but man these colors are hard to decipher. Maybe I can post pic

snyder5 said:
ahahahaha, thanks! Kids are already swimming, my stress would have been nothing compared to theirs :). But, most of them came out anyway...the wrinkles that is. And, from what I hear will poss have them next year or so on, then, not worth it! Now, to figure out water, lol. I just posted in the another topic, but here is what I have:

So, only have the 6 way from Walmart right now, ordered the T100..

TC - 0
FC - 0
PH - 7.2ish?
T Alkalinity - 40
Stabilizer - 10ish?
Total Hardiness - 100

What to do? I know I need bleach, but man these colors are hard to decipher. Maybe I can post pic

Oh, so been there with kids asking to swim. Makes you do things like not drain and refill pools the H insisted had to be done so then you can argue about it for eons... Even while pool is sparkly clear and perfect :grrrr:

ahhh.. back to you. Yes, bleach.

If you never added CYA, call it 0. Those strips are junk for CYA. It'll look like 0 till you're over 50ppm and then it's too late.

You may want to raise alkalinity a tad w/baking soda, but not too much because you can't test w/o strips. Do 10ppm at a time perhaps. Or go halfway and raise it 20ppm but no further. I'd leave ph alone for now. It might raise all on it's own.

Use 0 CYA for now for the calculator, it'll tell you how much bleach to add. Tomorrow, get stabilizer/conditioner/CYA at pool store or walmart. Decide what level you want to run the pool at, use calculator, get an old sock and a rubber band... hang it and squish it all day. Then change CYA levels on the calculator to reflect how much you put in the sock. Dose pool to the target level for that CYA. Test after dark, dose back to target. Sleep, test again to be sure it's still where you left it (or close) and then either dose or swim.

Pure bliss will overcome you.

It's all new water, I wouldn't sweat the numbers much until it's full. If anything, chlorine is the one you want to keep up but during a fill it shouldn't be a big deal. You really do need to get the good test kit though, strips are close to useless. Have fun! :cheers:

MikeInNH said:
It's all new water, I wouldn't sweat the numbers much until it's full. If anything, chlorine is the one you want to keep up but during a fill it shouldn't be a big deal. You really do need to get the good test kit though, strips are close to useless. Have fun! :cheers:

ITA :goodjob:

A good test kit will help immensly b/c you will know what is going on with your pool and between the pool calculator and the good people here you can figure out how to get your levels right.

Glad you decided to live with your wrinkles... but be aware, the next thing you notice may be little dents. I am almost sure the bottom of mine was perfect, but after we started swimming for a while, the floor surface got lots of little dents in it. These BTW are also perfect for catching the dirt. :D I don't know why it happened, as I thought the weight of the water was greater at compacting the sand underneath than anything our feet could do... but I have just learned to live with them as well. It's all good. Hardly noticeable by day, but when the light is on at night, it looks like the surface of the moon! :D I don't turn that light on much!

Happy swimming!!! :)

It's time to get that test kit.

You need to add 3 quarts of bleach.
You need to add 5 lbs of CYA if you're using bleach to chlorinate your pool. If you're using tablets don't add any CYA.
You need to add 7 lbs of baking soda to bring the TA up to 70. If you're using tabs you'll want it higher.

Looking good so far.

Thanks all and thanks Bama! We FINALLY got our Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 hooked up today, thank goodness the water still looks as is we just filled it. Also, got my TF TEST KIT today, yay! So, we are trying to figure out the six positions, however, the decal is gone :(, does anyone have a pic? And, we are clueless, we should leave it on recirculate, right? We think we found this and followed all directions, but have no pressure on the gauge? The water is pumping back in great though. What do we do?? Thanks :)

snyder5 said:
Thanks all and thanks Bama! We FINALLY got our Pentair Sand Dollar SD40 hooked up today, thank goodness the water still looks as is we just filled it. Also, got my TF TEST KIT today, yay! So, we are trying to figure out the six positions, however, the decal is gone :(, does anyone have a pic? And, we are clueless, we should leave it on recirculate, right? We think we found this and followed all directions, but have no pressure on the gauge? The water is pumping back in great though. What do we do?? Thanks :)
okay, it could just be me, but you are talkin' a little broken :mrgreen: or at least sounds that way to me :eek:

Anyhoo,
1. google your filter for the owner's manual
2. Filter position should be on filter (not circulate), but circ is okay for right now, but get to 'filter' soon
3. If gauge is reading zero with pump running, it is broken. Replace it. They are cheap.
4. Post test results with your new TF100 :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.