What causes low psi?

Aug 26, 2010
I used to have 10 psi on my filter. Now it is down to 2 psi recently. Does anyone know what may causing it? There is no debris around the main drains on the bottom of the pool. Skimmer is clean, too. I have not cleaned the filter for one year, but the pressure has been very steady at 10 psi. The motor sounds fine to me. I am afraid that the pipes from pool to the filter is clogged. But how likely is it? Thanks for your help.

Most often it is a clog in the impelller which causes low suction. The second most common reason is a clog in the suction side plumbing.

Thanks for your quick response. If it is a clogged pump impeller, I don't think I can handle it based on what I saw on you tube. I need to get someone to fix it. If it is the suction side plumbing, is there anything I can do to verify and fix it?

Will there be any damage to the pump or filter if I keep running it? Thanks.

Sometimes you can reach the impeller clog through the pump basket. Remove the basket and try to reach into the hole at the bottom.

As for a clog in the pipes, a drain king can be inserted into the pipe feeding the pump via the pump basket and sometimes that is enough to free the clog.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.