Filter Problems

Jun 30, 2011
I have a sand dollar SD35 sand filter with 1 hp dynamo pump that is brand new and has just been installed. The filter media that the dealer sold be was zeosand 50lbs. Some of this filter media was lost during installation. My pump is currently operating on the filter setting at about 8 psi. We first noticed that there may be a problem when we attempted to hook to a lil shark pool cleaner. The filter would run for a few minutes and then it would lose pressure down to 0 psi and water began leaking out of the backwash. The automatic pool cleaner seemed to be working and no air was noted in the system. Could this be related to the filter media or could something be wrong with the filter itself? What should normal operating psi be?? .

I think you have two issues going on there.
1) A problem with the multiport valve. That has nothing to do with the media. Being new it'll be a warranty item. Water shouldn't come out of the waste port when the valve is on filter.

2) A possible suction leak. That would cause the pressure to go to zero. Is there any air in the pump basket when the vac is hooked up? Can you bleed air out of the filter when the pump is running?

I agree and think the multiport valve needs to be replaced. If the psi goes above 10 it loses pressure completely goes to 0 psi and begins leaking out of the waste port. I have contacted Pentair and hope to hear back from them soon.

The filter seems to be working and operating fine at 8 psi. Do you think this will be able to adequately filter my pool until I can get the multiport valve replaced?

In regards to the suction leak, I did bleed the air out of the filter and did not note any air in the pump basket.

Thank you for your help!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.