First time pool keeper

Apr 18, 2011
Melbourne Florida
Hello all!

Nice site, I finally closed on a short sale in Florida and the pool is a mess, frog pond (and turtles). It has a DE filter which I ran for a few minutes. The pressure went up to 30 lbs and climbing so I ran it on backwash but it still goes on up to 30 lbs pretty quick. Not familiar with the DE filters, should I put more DE in every time I backwash? What is the normal pressure rating for this type of filter? I'm still raking out all kinds of algae but want to get the filter ready for the chemicals.

-Dave

Welcome to the forum. Can't help on the filer question but someone else will be along soon I'm sure. You will want to get a good test kit, extra large TF100 willbe most cost effective. Online only d so get that begun now. Then read Pool School, print out as needed and I suggest a log of pool details, equipment, tests, chemicals, everything. It will be handy to have.

The first thing to do is keep raking and scooping till you don't get anything else out and then do ti some more.

You have to add about 80% of the called for charge, every time you backwash your DE filter. I wouldn't worry about running it until you get all the solids that you can out. Once that's done You'll just have to backwash as often as required. A DE filter will clear a pool out quickly once you've killed all the algae but it requires a lot baskwashing in the process.

It's hard to say what the normal pressure is because every system is different. Once the pressure rises about 6 to 10 psi above normal you should backwash.

If you don't already have one you need to get a good test kit ordered and start the shocking process. Read Pool School on how to shock your pool.