good equipment or bad equipment?

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN

Newbie here! :wave: Been lurking for a month or so as I am in the process of building my pool and am a new pool owner wanting to make sure I'm not being taken for a ride! After reading the thread on chemical free pools in the stickies, I'm a little nervous. My PB will be installing a Bioguard Mineral Springs automatic chlorinator with a sand filter (TR50 Pac Fab), and a 3/4 HP Pac Fab pump. Am I reading this correctly that this chlorinator will put metals in my pool? :? Does this equipment sound correct? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

The hardware that comes with the BioGuard Mineral Springs system is just fine. They give you a very good SWG. The chemical packets that go with the Mineral Springs system, Beginnings and Renewal, are mostly dramatically overpriced salt combined with a few other chemicals that you don't need but which won't cause any serious problems. They don't include any metals as far as I know, despite the way other vendors use the word "mineral".

If you want to have exactly the same effect as using renewal you want to maintain your salt level at about 3200 ppm using ordinary water softener pellets or solar salt (not rock salt) that is at least 99.5% pure and has no additives for rust removal or cleaning the softener tank, etc. (I use the solar salt because it dissolves faster). You want to make sure you maintain the CYA close to 80 ppm since you wil lose a bit of both salt and CYA each time you backwash the sand filter . Finally, the 'magic' ingredient in Renewal is borax! Maintaining a 30-50 ppm borate concentration in the water, combined with maintaining an uncorrected total alkalinity of 70-90 ppm will help increase pH stability, reduce acid consumption, lessen your chlorine demand which will increase your cell life, and will act as an algaestat! Good stuff!

If you figure out the cost of using Renewal vs. using solar salt, borax (20 mule team!), cya and a bit of acid to compensate for the pH rise from the borax you will find it will save you a LOT of money over Bioguard's propriatary blend of salt, borax, dry acid and stabilizer!

If you want to learn how to do this just ask and we will tell you!

If you prefer to just use salt and CYA that is fine also but the benefits of also using borates have been documented on this and other forums many times over! I use them in my own pool.

BTW, the Mineral Springs SWG is a rebranded AquaRite unit. It's a very good SWG!

Great info waterbear! I really appreciate it. You have pushed my buttons with saving $$ talk. :lol: I remember reading the borax benefits of no bugs in another thread. That would definetly be a plus for me.

I am so glad to hear that the SWG system I'm getting is a good one.

I will most definelty get your all's expertise when (and if ever!) my pool gets finished! Of course at this point it will only be closed once it's completed, so I won't be able to do anything until Spring.

Thanks again for such great advice. You all are the BEST!! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.