Liner question

LisaM

May 26, 2011
When I purchased my house I was told that a 20 year liner was installed 2 years before. The line has however lost most of its pattern in the shallow end. Also from what I am reading, most liners only last 6-8 years. I have been in the house since 2005 so this will be my 6th summer. Is there such a thing as a 20 year liner? the pool is 20x40x10 deep. I was told to expect to pay around 5000k to replace this liner. Is this correct?

The life of a liner varies, anywhere from 5 to 20 years is plausible. An average liner probably lasts 12 years.

Replacing a liner varies by area, size of pool, and on any additional work that might have to be done at the same time, such as repairs to the liner track. Typically prices are around $3K to $5K.

Having the pattern wear off doesn't look very good, and you might choose to replace the liner because of that. However, that does not indicate that the liner actually needs to be replaced. The quality of the printing and the quality of the liner it's self are two unrelated issues.

Thats good to hear! I didnt know if the pattern wearing out meant the liner was wearing out. I dont honestly care that much about that. Not enough to replace it. I have actually started a savings account for the day when I do have to replace it but I am hoping I will have a few years! What are some signs that the liner is wearing out?

The 20 year warranty may be prorated, meaning that if defects are found in the first year the manufacturer will pay 100% of the new liner cost only (not the installation), the second year they will pay 70% (or whatever) and so on.

20 years from now the manufacturer may only pay 15% of the new liner cost. Plus you have to prove the installation wasn't at fault, there was no negligence and lack of proper maintenance during the period.

What are considered defects? Probably just the seams. Discoloration, pattern mismatches and misalignments are probably not covered.
The warranty may also not be transferable (original customer only).

The discoloration you're seeing is normal: The anti-UV treatment that is applied to the PVC liner is more or less water soluble, after a few years it dissolves and leaves the liner unprotected. That part of the pool floor is more shallow and gets more UVs, the pattern eventually fades.

We observe similar discolorations up here in Canada, but with a distinct pattern: the lower half of the pool wall still has a pattern, the next few feet up are discolored, the remaining pool wall (above the water line) has a pattern. This is due to the fact we partly empty the pools come autumn so there's a few feet that are exposed to the sun. Of course the part above the water line still has its UV protection.

discolored_liner_01.jpg

discolored_liner_02.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.