problems treating heated pool water

mykle

Nov 25, 2007
Bluffton,Ohio
Can anyone tell me if there are any different procedures for treated pool water that is heated to 90 degrees?This pool I'm working with is at my new job as head maintenance at a local Comfort Inn. Sincerely Mykle Bradley myklebradley and my provider is yahoo.com

Mykle, I edited your post to remove the formatted email address. Posting it in the clear can result in a deluge of spam for you. JohnT

Mykle,

Welcome to the forum. The 90 degree temp makes SOME difference but not nearly as much as the fact that the pool is indoors. Indoor pools require considerably different maintenance and I am not educated enough on them to advise you with confidence. There are folks on the forum here who are and I'm sure they will be along shortly.

It would be helpful if you would post up what type of instructions you have been given to this point and whether or not you have any experience with pool maintenance. You'll get lot's of helpful answers here.......I'm just probably not the best resource to start with.

Mykle, welcome to TFP!!! :goodjob:

As a quick primer, higher water temps require a slightly lower pH to keep the alkalinity and calcium harness in balance. Also chlorine is less effective at higher temps, so it needs to be kept towards the higher end of the acceptable range. Pretty much all the rest is the same as a pool run at lower temps.

However, you have an indoor pool, which removes the effects of solar UV - this is a double edged sword as the UV won't burn off the chlorine and leave your level too low, BUT - the combined chlorine isn't getting burned off either which can lead to red eyes and 'swimmer's itch' and make the pool room smell like chlorine. There are some non-chlorine treatments that can be used to remove the combined chlorine, however I don't fully recall the possible adverse effects of each (so until one of the chem experts chime in or I get a chance to doublecheck my notes - I'll leave it at that for now)

Having done maintenance and pool care for a few hotels/ resorts, I think it's great that you want to have a clean, sanitary and easy to maintain pool for your guests and are willing to search for the right way to do it :party: :whoot: One of the initial problems you may face is that they've probably been using chlorine tabs for years :( This is probably causing all sorts of problems with the water :shock: We can see you through this, but we need recent chem values of the water:

FC
CC
TC
pH
Total alkalinity
Calcium hardness
Cyanuric acid (!)

With the numbers, we can tell you whether you need to drain the pool and how to care for it so that you have an easily maintained pool and your guests have a sanitary pool to enjoy :wink:

Please read the 'stickies' they can really help with the basics of pool care (they are found in the black 'bar' at the top of the page.) Also, you will find that a good test kit will help you maintain the pool - I suggest the one linked to in duraliegh's signature, but there are others that will also do the job.

There are a lot of great and knowledgeable folk here to help you with this, they've always been there for me :wink:

Let us know what's going on and we'll help you all we can :!: Again, welcome here! - waste

mykle said:
Can anyone tell me if there are any different procedures for treated pool water that is heated to 90 degrees?This pool I'm working with is at my new job as head maintenance at a local Comfort Inn. [/color]

When you read the "stickies," make sure to keep in mind that there are some difference for indoor pools. I have an indoor pool and my comments are in this thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=60

The main differences are that: (1) a non-chlorine shock should be used weekly or more often to PREVENT CC accumulation; and (2) an enzyme treatment can also help in preventing CC's.

A partial or complete drain may be necessary to get your water factors under control.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.