New Intex Pool Owner, Need Help

Jun 29, 2011
Dothan, Alabama
Hi everyone. We recently purchased our first pool. It is an Intex Metal frame 15 ft. by 4 ft. above ground pool. Stupidly, we went by the "Ready for water in 45 minutes" message on the box, set up the pool, and filled it with water only to find out that it was unlevel. Guess we should have broken out the leveler before hand. It looks level to the eye, but it was way off. So we drained the pool, and now have the pool upside down, and we are leveling the area of the pool. We are doing it ourselves, with just a shovel, pick axe and a few other materials. It is basically clay we are digging through. We have only worked on it a couple of hours, but someone told us that it basically needs to be level all the way around the pool, and we could put sand on top of the dirt, and then place a tarp on top of the sand and set the pool. Is this correct? Also, how long does it need to set after leveling before placing the pool? Because it has been storming here lately, the wind picked the pool up after we drained it that is why we have it upside down so the wind cannot pick it back up. Will it be okay like that until Friday evening? We are expecting our leveling project will be done by then and we can start filling it back up? Not sure if these questions are valid, but I'm worried we paid all that money for the pool and something happen to it before we even get to use it. Haha. Thank you in advance for all the help!!!

It does ned to be level all around, very level!
It should be fine for a few days like that.
If you can get the ground smooth and level then don't worry about the sand but if it's a little unsmooth you can add a little sand to smooth it out and then put the tarp on that.

this is a bit late, but how did you level the area? did you dig down the high spots to undisturbed earth, or did you drag the dirt from the high spots to the low spots? I have a seasonal Intex pool. I moved it to a new spot last year and did what you did - leveled it then put sand on it. If you have any disturbed earth you need to tamp it well before putting the sand down, else the earth will settle and the pool will no longer be level.

My husband dug down the high spots, and put the dirt on the low spots. We then put the sand on the it, a tarp over the sand, and then placed the pool. He tamped down very well on the side he built the dirt on, then let it settle for a day. Not sure if that was long enough, but he then had to end up digging a little lower down on the other side, and just placed that dirt in another part of the yard since we didn't need it. He did a great job on it. It's only off by a couple of inches now. I'm okay with those couple of inches considering how awful unlevel it was last time. I hope he gave it enough time to settle. This thing has been a hassle. First time owners, and we are living and learning. We are going to now work on lanscaping and a privacy fence around it. Anyone have any ideas on landscaping around a above ground? I'm thinking lava rocks around the pool since we have lava rocks in our landscaping in our front yard. And we are going to do a white vinyl privacy fence.

jessikat3184 said:
Anyone have any ideas on landscaping around a above ground? I'm thinking lava rocks around the pool since we have lava rocks in our landscaping in our front yard. And we are going to do a white vinyl privacy fence.
Hey, congrats on getting it back up. If you're going to use lava rocks around the pool, I recommend putting something around the base of the so that the rocks do not rest against it. Also, I would put down some kind of weed barrier cloth to help keep the weeds from growing through like you would in a flower bed. I'm thinking about putting up a vinyl privacy fence also, they look so nice. :goodjob:

Thank you so much! What other kinds of things have you seen people put around the pool. My husband said sand, but I'm a little afraid of it getting on our feet and in the pool. I don't think it would be a problem, but not sure. Can't wait to get the privacy fence up. That will be a few months though. After all this, I just wanna enjoy the pool in this southern heat and humidity. Having a pool in the south isn't a want, it's a need! :) Send me pics of yours when you get your vinyl fence put up. I'd love to see it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.