vermiculite has a base for aboveground

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
I was talking to a high dollar pool builder several year's ago & he was telling me that he recomended using Vermiculite for the base instead of sand..You get a very nice bottom if you use this product..Never been happy with the bottom on mine.Wondering how cost would be to take up the base that I have now & try it..I know I prob wouldnot have the patient's to smooth it out..

I don't really know how well it would work, but I think if it were a fantastic option, it would be fairly common (it isn't). The happy bottom-type stuff is quite popular and will give you a flatter bottom than sand.

Melt In The Sun said:
I don't really know how well it would work, but I think if it were a fantastic option, it would be fairly common (it isn't). The happy bottom-type stuff is quite popular and will give you a flatter bottom than sand.
I have a sand bottom now..I tried to fix it last year..I just made it worse..I started to just shovel up all the sand&go with the Happy Bottom..Would be a big job..But,maybe worth it..pad&coving next go around..

waste said:
I've vermiculited AG pools and,as long as the troweler has some degree of skill, the result is FAR better than a sand bottom (as long as the pad is properly compacted) :)
That is what the pool builder I talked too..Wonder how much it would cost or would be just has good to take all the sand up&compact the ground again&lay a pad down..

waste said:
That's your choice to make.

I have 0 experience with the pads for AG pools :oops:
Your exp. how much would I look at to do the vermiculite..pool base is 12 yrs old..Could you go back &repack what's there&then vermiculite..My other prob. is it really worth messing with..If I was going with a new pool would be no ? about doing it..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.